New wafer still only getting 92 degrees

neckringer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I have a hova-bator still air incubator. I just put in a new wafer but still not obtaining optimum heat ranges. Now what? Anything else to look for or should I look for a new incubator?

This probably sounds so obvious, but what have you done to adjust the temps? Are you using more than one thermometer? It is possible for the wafers to be bad straight out of the package. If you have had good success with this bator in the past, it would be cheaper to try buying a new wafer again rather than buying a new bator.

Where in your house is the incubator located?

For best results you need it to be a stable temp room (best at 72F), without high traffic or drafts.

An interior room or closet will help with stabilizing the temps.

If it continues to heat at a low temp it is possible that a new wafer could be bad but usually if a wafer is bad the temps flunctuate instead of holding a consistant low temp.

You might need to check the heat source.

Now that you mention it I am wondering if I just ave it in the wrong spot in the house. It is very cold here in Michigan at the moment and I only have the house thermostat set at 62 degrees. That is probobly most of my problem.

I had a similar problem years ago..... when I wanted to incubate in an outside unheated storage building.

Now in our house... I keep the temp at 68 and my hovabator isnt having a problem staying at 102.

It may be getting cooler that you realize where you currently have the bator setting.

i bought a used hovabator that had been used to hatch reptiles so it was set really low, and i turned it on and kept on adjusting the knob, turning a few, waiting, turning the lever, waitng. Too, me three days to get it up to 101 but it has stayed up for several days and appears to be working fine. What happends when you turn the adjustment lever?

Back
Top Bottom