New Waterer HELP!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GPowell, Feb 1, 2014.

1. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    I wasn't a big fan on leaving a bowl of water out in the run for the hens to dirty up and spill over so I decided to make a waterer for them. The waterer is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and 5 poultry nipples at the bottom. I have 3/4 inch PVC piping running from the lid and out to were I can fill it up from the outside of the run, never needing to go into the run to refill the water. The hens are used to drinking from the bowl/tub of water, and I feel better knowing there drinking water. I observed the hens today for about 2 hours when I took the bowl of water out of the run and I noticed the hens pecking at the ice and snow, I'm guessing to get a drink of water. I felt bad and put the bowl back into the run so they can drink.
    What can I do to get my hens to drink from the waterer? The waterer sometimes has a small drip every now and then so wouldn't the hens pick up on that when they get thirsty? I plan on sticking to my guns this time and not giving in. Any tips/tricks or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the waterer.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Take the bowl of water out and wait a couple of hours. If they are used to you, go in and "peck" at the nipples with your finger. They will see the water dripping and will get the hint.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    X2

4. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    Thank you. Once they go back in from ranging around the yard ill defiantly give it a try.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    x3, yes the nipple flicking worked wonders with our birds. Make sure one or more birds SEES you do it and do it several times. It took our birds several hours to all figure it out. They aren't going to get severely dehydrated in that amount of time...just thirsty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by