New way of sexing!?!?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandoncakes, Aug 7, 2011.

1. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    I posted photos of our new chick earlier last month, with no idea on sex or breed. Today was really odd tho when we gave him a bath(notice I said HIM)! As we were drying him I noticed something, he was mating our towel!! We always use a hair dryer and rub him down with a towel to speed drying, but this was the first time I ever did this to him:

I grabbed below his tail, covering up the vent with the towel and shook it up(rubbing the feathers, including around the vent to speed up drying the vent feathers), and he ended up forcing his tail down as if he were mating!! He even grabbed a piece of towel with his beak. After it happened I kinda backed off and noticed the penis still sticking out. Because of the curious person that I am, I tried it again. I tried rubbing the vent with no success, I tried moving his tail back and forth, still nothing. I then grabbed from under the tail, over the vent, my fingers reaching the top of his saddle and shook it...voila!

Is this a way you can tell the sex of roosters? He's still cheeping like a chick, comb is still really small, no crowing(not even clucking yet, he's only 4 months). Dont know if females will do it since I only have 1 chicken, can someone test it out? Maybe we'll be able to sex chickens before they crow or lay now!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. brandoncakes

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    tell me about it [​IMG]

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

This is a family forum. [​IMG]

5. brandoncakes

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    I thought about that before I posted, but i thought it'd be a new way of sexing young cockerels. The method's unfortunate LOL! [​IMG]

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds like it works to me... not sure if I could figure that one out though... I would say make a you tube video but this is a family forum [​IMG]

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Tell you what. You do a youtube of it and I have one that I think is a cockerel but not positive. I'll test it, but I think I need to see what's done before I try.

Would be funny if this works. I can try some I can now tell the sex of too. That way we can see how many times it's right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by