New window in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jen3910, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jen3910

jen3910 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    NW Chicago Suburbs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been looking for a new window to replace the thin cracking plexi-glass, and I found one at ReStore ($3!), and there was also a screen for summertime. The coop is directly under a tree so it gets lots of shade in the summer. The window is south-facing so I am hoping it will help keep the coop a bit warmer in the winter. It is a concern that it is so large in relation to the coop? It is the only window if that matters.

I also stuffed straw in 2/3 vents, both front and back. Is straw OK to use for this, or should I use something else? Just thinking it might get moldy.

I'm already dreaming of how my next coop will be, so many changes I want to make. If we still have the chickens next fall ( -meaning no one turns us in to the village) then I will build them a nicer one.

Thanks for checking it out, and offering any advice you have :)
    -Jen

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I LOVE lots of light in a coop, so no, it's certainly not too large [​IMG] It'll probably help a lot w/light and heat issues this winter too. That's great that the coop is fairly shaded, because that's the only drawback to nice big windows. It it becomes an issue in summer, simply build a plywood "awning" to shade the window...I've done that for the coop window that gets the most summer sun.
    I doubt the straw will mold if it was dry when you stuffed it up there. But if you're concerned, simply use burlap or old feedsacks loosely stuffed in its place...

3. jen3910

jen3910 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    NW Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for the advice. I love how I can see into the coop so clearly now, and I think the chickens like it too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by