New windows and perches for our hen house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mac in Wisco, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've been doing a bunch of upgrades. The hen house only had four windows on the north side. I just added eight to the south side where there were none. What a pain. The walls were heavily spray foamed before the liner was installed. I removed the liner panels, laid out where the windows were to go, and spent days cutting through the foam with a fillet knife and breaking out chunks with a pry bar. The trim was the killer. Including exterior and interior trim, I hand cut 64 pieces of steel trim to fit. The inside photo didn't turn out too well...

I've also been installing perches. The photo show 360 linear feet of perches on a steel framework. I fabricated them in 8 foot sections and they actually hinge upward and fold flat against the wall for cleanout. I still have to do the same for the opposite wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    wow...thats alot of chickens [​IMG] but your work looks great

3. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Guess you don't name all your chickens....

I'm impressed with how clean your chicken house is.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:The hen in the front and center is employee number 1634...

We keep them on deep litter that is cleaned out once a year, but this is what it looks like at any given time of year. The litter just gets a little deeper, after a year it probably averages six to eight inches deep. I'm not sure if we'll get droppings on the walls with the new perches. The perch closet to the wall is about 6 or 7 inches away.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    What about your nesting boxes?
    Love your hen house...Bet that costed a pretty penny.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:There are more photos on my BYC pages. This one was taken last February. There are actually two double-sided rows of nest boxes in there. The first photo of this thread shows less than a fourth of the interior. The house is actually as wide as it is long.

Thanks, and yes, it's a good portion of our mortgage.

[​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I like red chickens.LOL

8. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG]

9. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    How many buildings like that? That house only has about 400 chickens, should be 4 more like that, right?

Are the eggs collected by hand or is it a roll-away nest, maybe to a conveyance?

So your chickens are floor raised, cool. I think free-range is more natural for the bird but opens a farmer up to other risks like predator loss.

10. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:There are more photos on my BYC pages. This one was taken last February. There are actually two double-sided rows of nest boxes in there. The first photo of this thread shows less than a fourth of the interior. The house is actually as wide as it is long.

Thanks, and yes, it's a good portion of our mortgage.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/mgmccarty/Barn Photos/DSC00279.jpg

Are those ISA Brown hens or Sex-Link?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by