New, with a new coop, looking for info on other poultry

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CreativeAnna, Aug 8, 2013.

1. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi, :) I am new and my name is Anna. Currently have 6 hens, and recently obtained a new coop. I am here trying to decide the different type of poultry I can keep with my new coop, I am willing to customize and have space for larger birds. I have been doing some research on Turkeys, but am still unsure. Would love to hear some of your suggestions for other birds (other than chickens), anyway thank you for all the information on this forum, back to research for me <3

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Anna - Welcome to BYC from West TN. I just have Chickens, Guineas and two Mallard Drakes.. So no help with the Turkeys.. I do know from another friends turkey adventures that in some areas young turkeys with chickens can lead to blackhead in the turkeys and peafowl. He had it on his land but the guy 5 miles down the road never had a problem..

3. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Humm well I have a different coop and run for the chicks, so they wouldn't be together. I obtained the second coop from someone who was moving who couldn't take it with them. Its currently waiting to be put together once I decide if I'm going to just get a different breed of chicks or larger birds, which may require some changing of the coop. Its a really beautiful coop, I'm happy I got it, I can't wait to get started on working on it, but I want to know as much as possible about what animal I might choose to put in it before it goes up so it may be customized to fit their needs.

4. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    All I have is chickens, I had two ducks for a couple days, but the darn things flew away. The first day I let them out. So, if you get ducks, consider wing clipping!! I have a variety of chickens and I love them :) I may just stick to them for now lol

5. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Ducks are so cute not just when their babies, I thought about them for a while but read they need a water source for swimming, would a kiddie pool or something of the sort be fine, do they actually need to swim? I am interested in several types of birds, I am just trying to narrow down the things I can and can't do, and want to make sure I can offer then everything they need within reason. Its hard choosing, I also read that ducks don't lay as often as chickens, which I'm fine with, my ladies are good layers as is and I keep them not only for eggs but as pets, no eating them here. Well, I personally wouldn't be opposed to eating one of them, she hasn't been laying as much anymore and is kind of mean. lol

Its hard choosing, so many amazing birds to choose from.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Lots of people have ducks and use a kiddie pool, or kids sandbox - so I imagine even a small amount of water keeps them happy. I'm thinking it would be quite a job trying to keep it clean in winter

7. Thenewguy

Thenewguy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Hello,
    I am VERY new to birds as well, but I do have several friends that have had ducks and according to them, the only water they needed was to drink. One of the people I know who had a duck was a kid who was on a hockey team I coached when my oldest was still playing. I remember seeing this thing at the time and wishing I had a dog that was half as loyal as this duck. This duck followed him around the house, got depressed when he was gone, and never flew south (I am in Michigan).

The other people I knew just had one that wondered around their yard, It would fly south but show back up every spring. The same was true with some friends that had multiple ducks as well. Some would take the winter vacation and others would hang out. Again, just drinking water provided.

But I do have a months (like 2) of experience with turkeys and hens together. LOL. Right now I have one turkey and one hen (long story on how I got down to just these two). The hen follows the turkey around like its on a leash or something. Cuddles up to it. And will literally panic if it is out of it's sight. Kinda funny to watch.

Anyway, I was probably no help what so ever, but I've been waiting hours to pass along my vast knowledge of........well, not much.

8. CreativeAnna

CreativeAnna New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    =] its appreciated, very cute read, I like the bit about them being loyal especially since my interest in them is as pets rather than meat.

I just read you can use kiddie pools, plastic rubbermade tubs, mortars, I was trying to read how people heat them during the winter. Some say they just remove it, dig a hole for it to go in the ground, or buy a heater for it.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Happy you are enjoying BYC, Anna. Good luck and best wishes!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I know a lot of members here keep different poultry types, some together. Here's an article with some tips on how to do it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-keep-different-poultry-types-living-together-in-one-coop

You have a few options regarding other types of fowl you can keep with your hens and all you need to do is read and talk to people (and be careful, they will talk you into anything here!) and then decide. And make sure you have enough space for everyone :) Here's a section on the other poultry types. Have a look through there, see what people's experiences have been, the problems they had, benefits of keeping these fowl etc:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/66/other-backyard-poultry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by