New, with a recently rescued chicken

random-name

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Our neighbour just chucked his chicken out.

So I have taken her in. She looks very poorly. Missing feathers, scruffy.

What do I do?

Where should she sleep? What food does she need? (we have a yard full of spring shoots and grubs). It's nighttime here in about 2 hours, so I don't have much time. I don't have straw, a coop. Nothing. I have not had a chicken since I was a girl more than 20 years ago.

Should I be thinking og getting another chicken to keep her company?

Many thanks.

Do you have a cage like a indoor dog kennel you can keep her in the house for a few days til you can get her something built outside? For tonight put an old towel in it. Then go to the feed store in the morning and get bedding likie pine shavings or even straw and feed. How old is she? if she is laying age she needs layer feed. If she is younger she needs grower. For tonight you can feed her scrambled eggs oatmeal scraps from your dinner etc. They will pretty much eat anything but for long term she needs a balanced feed. She will do better with a friend but til you get a coop built I would wait on the friend and keep her in the house where she can have company. Also the protien in the eggs will help her feathers to get better you can even feed her some meat for that too.

Last edited:
I have a cat cage for taking the cat to the vet. But it is tiny. Could that work for the night?

I don't want her running freely inside our house. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old at home with me.

She has a very tiny crown thingy. I am trying to get a picture attached. I have no idea how to tell how old she is.

dscn2377.jpg

She's a nice looking chicken. You are very kind to take her in. If the cat carrier is indeed too small, a large cardboard box will work for the night. Shavings on the bottom would be best, but if not, a lot of shredded newspaper might work, again, only for one night. Maybe tomorrow you can find the stuff that will keep her okay for the long term.

Are you in a warm climate?

Last edited:
Yes, you can put her in a cat carrier for a day or so but be prepared to do a lot of paper changes. Actually, a spare diaper can do in an emergency(if you don't have paper) to line the bottom of the cage. You can feed her some bread and put water in a small cup attached to the wire front (door). You can use a cloths pin to stabilize the cup, and can sprinkle the bread (cereal/saltines, scrambled eggs) on the bottom of the cage.

Put her away from your children as their curiosity may frighten the young bird. Place her in an area where she is secure from predators (bathroom will work in a pinch).

Good luck with her or maybe him!

Can't really tell how old she is, very pretty bird though. I would keep her inside in something temporary until you can get something to protect her outside. Everyone else has pretty much covered everything. Oh, they do like to be with other chickens, just 1 so she's not lonely, if you intend on keeping her that would be my advise. Good luck, keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom