NEW with chicks coming next week....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spring, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I've got 6 little bantams coming next week. A couple ?

I'm in So. Cal. So its hot. How old do they have to be to go in the coop outside? In the coop we've got 2 (rooster & hen) white silkies. Will they do ok with the new chicks? You think? [​IMG]

How old to start regular chicken feed?

For my chicks, I need a box, heat light, waterer and food.... anything else?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Your chicks need to be kept in a brooder until they have most of their feathers in. Even though its hot the weather may fluctuat and make them sick. As for putting them in with the others I would try to wait until they are almost as big as the others, that way they can hold their own and not get pecked to death. The chick starter is supposed tobe given until they are six weeks old (I think) but it should tell you on your bag of starter when to wean them off of it. Good luck on your new babies.

3. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    A brooder? Is that a cadge type thing? I was gonna put them in a cardboard box. Is that ok?

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    A sturdy cardboard box would be okay IMO. Use a big one though, so they can move away from the heat-bulb. [​IMG]

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    using a box is ok, but the chicks need to have room to get away from the heating lamp. and they stop starter feed when they start laying and when the roos start crowing. . .
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    -alex

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by