New with chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tiffanyhurd, Jul 22, 2011.

1. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thought I posted this earlier, but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is a double post!!

We got our chicks two weeks ago on Sunday. They are both a month old and are Golden stars. The couple we got them from said they are wonderful layers. I have not seen anything on the forum about Golden Stars, so if you have any information on them that would be a big help!! In a couple of weeks we will be getting two 4 month old Americaunas. Are they two different in age to put together or will we have no problems with it? Any information will be much appreciated!![​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to BYC.

It wouldn't surprise me if your Golden Stars are a hybrid chicken that was developed to be a prolific egg-layer. Different hatcheries use different names for their chickens, and if the parents of your chicks were a Rhode Island Red Rooster and a Rhode Island White hen, then that hybrid is an amazing little bird. They are very calm and friendly too. Here is a link that tells about some of the hybrids that are also called sex-link because at hatching time the color of the fuzz can determine the gender of the chick.

http://www.efowl.com/Chickens_for_Sale_s/41.htm

you might want to see if the art work for the 'gold sex link', 'golden comet', or 'red sex link' are a match to the way your chickens look. Also you may want to do a search on this forum using the box on the upper right of the page to see what other people have posted for their golden comets. I have one on 'my page'---but it is back lit---so you mostly can see her outline, more than her feathering. I suspect your gold stars are what most people are calling golden comets.

There are a number of variables in integrating chickens of different ages. You can do some searches here and hear other's experiences as well as get some techniques for mixing the birds together. You may also want to quarantine your new birds for a while and keep them seperate from your existing birds to make sure that all the chickens stay healthy.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan. I didn't see the other post, therefore it doesn't exsist. [​IMG]

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello if people think your nuts for having chickens, you have found a refuge here. LOL. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC.
    Gold Stars are Red Sexlinks, great for egg production! They are also known as Golden Comet and Cinnamon Queen. Here's a link:
    http://www.welphatchery.com/EggLayerTypes/red_sexlink.asp
    When you get your new birds, I recommend that you keep them seperated from the others for at least 30 days to observe them if they have any illnesses. You dont want any possible diseases spread to your Gold Stars. Go to the BYC search box and type in "biosecurity" and read up on it.

9. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from MN! great advice from dawg53.

10. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

Welcome Aboard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by