New with incubator temp/humidity questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by acire67, Jan 23, 2010.

1. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Hi-

I just bought a LG 9200 for my first hatch. I haven't added a fan, temp is holding steady @ 100 & humidity is @ 56 %. Should I bother messing with it? I know the temp should be 102 for still air bators, but it's difficult to keep temp & humidity stable. I have eggs coming in the mail next week, and have saved some of my hens' eggs so I can set them together. Thanks so much.

Erica

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    place sand bags or water ballons in it for mass. The will get get temp and humidity stable at a full bator, which is what you need. If you place the eggs in an empty bator, evrything will spike like crazy. It will spike a little with the new eggs, but will come back to normal in less time. No matter what, DO NOT ADJUST THE TEMP FOR AT LEAST 6 HOURS AFTER PUTTING THE EGGS IN. Have fun and a good hatch.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Also, where are you measuring the temperature? It needs to be about an inch or so off the bottom, about where the middle of the egg will be. The temperature in a still air will stratify.

4. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Thanks. I will add some mass before setting the eggs (bator is off, just washed the inside of it). I am measuring about an inch up from the bottom. I appreciate the help- this is such a great place to get answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by