New with PO question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Jul 18, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi all! First off, I am soo excited to finnally find a bird forum that I can tell I'm going to enjoy being apart of!

Well now on to my question I suppose! My problem is I don't drive, and my husband doesn't come home normal times for us to get to the post office before it closes. I am curious is there a way to just have the fertile eggs I want to buy shipped directly to my door? Or do I have to call the post office and beg pretty plz for them to do this? I just find it odd that eggs can be shipped UPS and Fedex, yet none of the places I look to buy fertile eggs from say anything about shipments coming directly to your door *where I need them to go*.

Thank you for any help here because I think i'd be devistated if I knew my eggs were at the postoffice with no way to get them. :|

Niki

2. They will ship the eggs, just like any other package, right to your mail box. Just make sure that you are home when they come, so they dont get left in a hot mailbox or tossed on your deck.

Most people opt to have the post office hold the eggs until they pick them up that day.

ETA: Also make sure to tell the seller to not write "hatching eggs" on the box. If she wants to write fragile, put "Fragile: Glass". If you put "hatching eggs" the eggs will most likely be shooken up by a PO worker.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Our PO would deliver them, but there is the risk of them sitting in the delivery vehicle and overheating/freezing. If you paid extra for Fed ex, it might be worth it.

These are my thoughts. Best bet would be to pick them up. Do you have a friend or relative that could bring you down?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My mail lady brings my eggs right up to the house for me [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would ask the people you are thinking of buying from if they could send them fed x or ups, i'm sure they would... might cost yah a few extra bucks for shipping but would be worth it, who know might cost the same !!!!

Welcome to BYC, i'm sure you will enjoy it, I think we all do !!!!

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Wow thanks so much for the quick responces!!!

So, if i do like rush delivery via fed ex will fed ex bring the package to my door like they normally do with other things or will they send it to my post office? I am so sorry if these are stupid questions, I just like "counting my eggs before they're hatched" kinda thing ha ha!!! I feel a bit more comfortable now, though I still have my worries. [​IMG] I think to set my mind at ease even more I'll call the post office on monday to see if they do get them if they'll make sure to send them directly to my home because I'll deffinatly be around [​IMG]. Oddly enough, my friends don't drive either...strange i know ha ha.

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I'm still new to chickens but this is my experience. They have delivered my eggs all three times to my door...I think they only hold stuff like that if there is a request to hold it until you pick it up or if it's alive. Just don't have the seller put your ph # on the box I guess. Good luck, hope everything goes well.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My mail lady brings them right to my door too. [​IMG]

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thank you, okay good so I assume you're meaning they'll send them directly to my house that way like they normally do. UPS comes through here more often than fed ex does so I think I'll beg whoever i get my fertile eggs off of to ship them to me through that next day or something. I have no qualms about spending a few extra bucks to get them here fast. [​IMG]

Niki

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Thank you, okay good so I assume you're meaning they'll send them directly to my house that way like they normally do. UPS comes through here more often than fed ex does so I think I'll beg whoever i get my fertile eggs off of to ship them to me through that next day or something. I have no qualms about spending a few extra bucks to get them here fast. [​IMG]

Niki

Yes, or I belive ups and fex x deliver to your door, at least when i order my orchids (flowers) from hawii(however you spell it) they came right to me, If I were to order eggs i would do it that way, we live in a small town (we don't even have a PO) we have to go to the next town over, and noone would EVER come out here (i dont belive) do you get any mail at your house ? or you just have a PO box ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: