New with questions

logansmommy41306

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Hi I just got my first set of chicks. I am so excited to start raising them. But I have alot of questions.

I have 6 Leghorn Pullets, 6 Rhode Island Red Pullets, and 8 Cornish Rock st runs.

My questions are:
- can these breed?
- Do I need male leghorns and rhode Island reds to get the females to have fertilized eggs to hatch?

I really want to try to keep my stock going and not have to re-buy them next year.

I also am open to any tips/suggestions that you may have.
Thank You

Yeah, you need a roo to get fertilized eggs. If you want one of each, you will need to keep them in separate pens or the roos will fight and the hens will get over used (if you catch my drift). It is good to have 10 hens per 1 roo.

I had RIRs and none of them were broody so I never was able to reproduce them. I also don't have an incubator.

Hopefully someone else more experienced will answer as I don't have too much experience with breeding.
hide.gif

Yes you need a male to fertilize the eggs. I do not think you can breed cornish rocks since they are a fast growing meat bird...not sure if you were asking about them too. I don't think leghorns are a broody type of bird either but you might get lucky with one or the RIR
tongue.png

Last edited:
Ok so once I figure out if I have any roo's I will keep them seperate from each other. Do i keep some females in with them? or just when trying to get them to fertilize the eggs? I know the cornishs are meat birds, but there has to be a way to breed them or how do the stores have them You know what I mean?

What are your favorite kinds of chickens for breeding?

In order for the females to lay eggs to eat does there have to be a male present or will they just ley unfertilized eggs?

Sorry if I sound like a complete moron I just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thank you again

Quote:
Yes if you seperate the roo's keep some females with them if you want fertilized eggs.
The meat birds, big farms buy new stock every time, they do not breed their own. I think a meat bird is a cross between two other birds that can breed and they produce a fast growing meat bird, I don't remember the crosses though.
I do not breed chickens, not even supposed to have them lol. They will lay with or without a male, males only make them fertile.

I did more searching on the meat bird

"The eggs won't hatch True". Meaning they will not be crosses themselves or??? I was just hoping to breed them to make more meaty birds for dinner.

Cornish Sire X Rock Hen = Cornish Cross

Cornish Cross X Cornish Cross =/= Cornish Cross

They are hybrids and cannot be re-bred to get the same creature. You have to use 'purebred' parents to create the cross... although there are no purebreed chickens. ;p

hope that helps a bit more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom