1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New with Swedish Flower Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dudefromtampa, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    My wife and I purchased about a dozen SFH eggs on ebay and of the 12, 3 hatched. These chickens are now approximately 6 months old. And although I've been raising Leghorns, Silkies, and Columbian Rocks now for about 2 years, it seems like SFH chickens are very different. For one, I can't determine if the 3 we have a hens or roosters - for sure, I mean. Actually, I'm pretty sure one of them (far right in pics below) is female but there are two I'm really not too sure about. Was hoping if I post 2 pictures of them (albeit from a cheap cell phone camera), possibly someone in the forums could view them and give me their opinions on this matter.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Joe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    um, you sure they are what they are? ive only seen a few but they looked like the one on the right. the other two dont look like swedish

1 person likes this.
  3. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    unless my eyes are playing tricks, they do that a lot, one is black and one is cuckoo color

5. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    I apologize, i messed up on my last post.

Are you saying you think the other two chickens could be goldlaced orpingtons? When these chickens were hatched, there were 20-24 eggs in the incubator. All of these eggs came from ebay. Half were Swedish Flower Hens and the other half were Goldlaced Orpingtons. If two of the three chickens in the picture are not SFH, then they must be Goldlaced Orpingtons. I'm still a rookie in the world of chicken raising but I don't see how they could be Goldlaced Orps. So it's quite possible my wife and I were duped in purchasing these eggs off of ebay.

Thanks for your advice here.

Joe

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is one of them black and the other the cuckoo color? then yes, you have been duped. try some close up pics in what gender is this forum. i am not good at this but theres no black flowers or orpingtons.

7. dudefromtampa

Apr 29, 2012
    Thank you. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post here. I didn't think those 2 were Orpingtons. Especially not gold-laced as they are definitely not gold colored. They sure are docile chickens though, whatever they are.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i didnt realize you were already on breeds. lol

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    None of those birds are gold laced or Orpingtons. I'm not hugely familiar with SFHs, but I don't think any of those birds are that breed. I see a mixed breed barred cockerel, a black (maybe Aussie, maybe mixed breed bird, who knows?) rooster (I think, better pics would really help) and a mixed breed hen.

Looking back, the black bird has some silver leakage, so not an Aussie. I think you just have mixed breed birds, not SFHs. Sorry.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is there a place on here they can report or post who they bought from and the fact they didnt get what they paid for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by