New woodies! now to get them to eat.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by clintwilson59, May 25, 2011.

1. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    My aunt just brought me 9 baby wood ducks but i cant get them to eat or drink, any advice?

2. halecards

halecards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    How old are they?

3. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    not real old, no more then a week or 2 if that.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Take some starter feed and make a kinda mash with it and spread some around it on the flooring. Put it on the side of the waterer and edge lip of it also. Watch and make sure they find it and start feeding [​IMG]

5. halecards

halecards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Oh, hmmm...my guess would be because they've been moved and they're just getting used to there new home. I'm sure they'll be eating and drinking by tomorrow.

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    With woodies, you need live food. I am assuming that your post suggests they are wild birds that were "found".

Clint

7. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    Quote:I didn't ask questions in case of that. I did get them to eat some shredded grass so I put their food on top so maybe that will help, I also stick a chick the same size in with them to kinda show them the ropes.

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:I didn't ask questions in case of that. I did get them to eat some shredded grass so I put their food on top so maybe that will help, I also stick a chick the same size in with them to kinda show them the ropes.

Well then you know they are wild. If they were captive breed the person handing them over should have handed u paper work as well.
    In cases like this wild birds need to be handed over to a licensed wildlife rehabber (or at least in contact with) so that proper care can be taken so that they can be released back into the wild.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Well then you know they are wild. If they were captive breed the person handing them over should have handed u paper work as well.
    In cases like this wild birds need to be handed over to a licensed wildlife rehabber (or at least in contact with) so that proper care can be taken so that they can be released back into the wild.

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by