New worry here!(tornado)!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Oct 26, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Today we been having BAD storms and we recently had a tornado warning and the clouds have been black what would i have done if a tornado came this way?What would i of done with 10 chickens and 4 seramas and 2 dutch hens what would could i have done ?THERE IS NOTHING SCARRER THAN A TORNADO WARNING AND BLACK STORMS ABOVE MY CHICKENS ............................THIS IS SO SCARY!

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    We had a bunch of those this summer. At first I'd run out and try to get everyone into the coop, that resulted in a lot of angry chickens and lots of crying (on my part). Then I came up with the idea of offering them tasty tasty snacks in a bright red bowl and only in the coop- this worked more quickly and with a lot less stress for all of us- of course, my chickens live in a trailer so if a tornado was bearing down on us, it'd be every living thing for itself. It is a very scary experience!

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    A direct hit by a tornado is going to take out more than the chickens. They can be easily replaced - get yourself to a safe location & worry about them later.

4. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    sorry for the confusion the tornado warning was like 1 hour ago it was just scary luckily it didn`t get house ripped in half bad!Just a lot of debris im lucky i built my coops tough [​IMG] !

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    We had them today to. Before the line of storms came through I went out and got 8 of my chooks and 8 quail and brought them in and put them downstairs [​IMG] but thats just me.

6. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Storms are everywhere today. i hate storms. Saying a prayer for everyone in the path of one today.

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I'm with midget_farms. All you're going to do running out in a tornado to "save" your chickens is get you AND them hurt. The best you can do is build your buildings tough enough to withstand the "normal" bad weather (plus a margin) you get, and hope for the best.

That said, mine were left locked up this morning. Figured that was safer for them than loose, and it also buys me some time if I get stuck here at work due to the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by