new wynadotte chickens lost back feathers how to cure?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by glitterchick, Aug 26, 2013.

1. glitterchick

glitterchick New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    hi i am new here and new to owning chickens i just got 2 new wynadotte today and they have lost their back feathers i was told from being at the markets being cramped and probably a rooster.. i checked for mites didnt see any.. question is how can i help them get back and grow the feathers back? and how long till they grow back ?

also 1 of the hens is missing a toe seems it was born that way i guess it will be ok it made it to this age (5 months)

thanks

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

the one missing a toe should be fine, double check by looking for a scab on the bottom pad of the foot "bumble foot" is the name of the term for the infection, in case you need to research further.

as for the back feathers, its usually caused by being over bred by a rooster. usually taking them away from the rooster will allow the feathers to start regrowing. extra proteins will help. make sure your feed has a protein content of 16-18%. a few meal worms or meat scraps will get them well on their way. usually the feathers will be pretty well in in 3 or so weeks. if they are in a molt it may take longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by