1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Year DRAMA!!! 1 DEAD.... 1 SICK... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by merylc714, Jan 3, 2014.

1. merylc714

merylc714 New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Long Beach
    So... MY New Years day started out just like any other... A nice relaxing morning with my Husband, Daughter and our [​IMG] Girls free ranging in our backyard..... Until A giant Red Tail Hawk swooped down and Attacked my 5 year old daughters' favorite RIR "Little Miss Henny Penny". He did not Take her because with us hearing the commotion and running out I caught him on top of her and scared him away... he flew up to a telephone pole and watched as my traumatized daughter and I screamed for my husband and scrambled to get our other girl, a Barred Rock named "Lilly" inside away from harm and the stress of this horrifying ordeal! [​IMG]

Poor Henny Penny had not yet expired from her wounds (a broken neck and puncture wounds) so, I held her until she finally left us.[​IMG] the guilt and pain I feel from this loss is terrible!! Seeing that we raised them from chicks and they were a very important part of this family. The pain of seeing my daughter go through this very scary and violent lesson on predator VS. prey has led me to....... bringing a new girl into my "flock". ( She insists that Lilly needs a "sister")

With that said.........

1) I went to our local livestock/feed store (Blacksmiths Corner in Bellflower, CA) and came home with a BEAUTIFUL New Silver Laced Wyandotte, (lovingly names TuTu) [​IMG]

I have read / You tubed all I can on keeping her quarantined as well as introducing her as a new member of our "flock" (all thought I have read and was told by the guy helping me that getting 2 would be easier to introduce. I know my husband would rather me keep our small flock SMALL) I really need some advice / pointers on doing this seeing that i am a Novice.

2) Now I have her quarantined and yesterday I realized she is not as curious as our girls were at 3-4 months (the man did not give me an exact age all though I asked him 1 million questions he was vague about most and probably freaked out by my persistent questioning...)
    I figured she was scared and needed a period of adjustment.
    Then a few hrs later I heard her sneezing
    and noticed she had a runny nose...[​IMG]

SO..... then back to the books and internet for what to do with a SICK bird...( like this is what I need... LOL)
    I have given her Probiotics and Electrolytes in her H2O and have been keeping her warm....

BUT... Now this morning I noticed SMALL BUBBLES in her eyes and she really is not drinking her water. She is slightly lethargic, not scratching or roosting really just laying still.
    I have read that I need to give her TYLAN-50??? CAN SOMEONE give me advice on this, Please!!!!!
    I called the place and they told me the chickens were "getting over" a Respiratory Infection... But did not tell me to give/do anything??? which I find strange!!!

Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am so scared of disappointing my daughter again and DO NOT want to risk getting my other girl sick!!!!!
    THANK YOU in advance
    Meryl[​IMG] ( A very worried Chicken Mommy)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Okay, you probably don't want to hear this, but you should return her ASAP or risk getting the rest of your flock sick. Most respirtory diseases in poultry never go away. Birds may recover, but are carriers of that disease for life. Google mycoplasma gallisepticum, mycoplasma synoviae and coryza.

-Kathy

3. merylc714

merylc714 New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Long Beach
    Thank you i will Google them.. I am going to take you upon your advice and returned from my question now is if she had it do you think the rest of the flock that I got her from will have it??? I am assuming that they will should I just go ahead and get new chicks from a new flock??

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Bingo! Go elsewhere, you'll be happy you did.

-Kathy

5. merylc714

merylc714 New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Long Beach
    thank you so much Kathy
    Meryl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by