1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Year, new friends! Just joining from Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tara3436, Jan 27, 2015.

1. tara3436

tara3436 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    Hey there everyone!

My name is Tara and I live in Houston, Texas... originally from Detroit, MI but I have been down south now for 8 years so it is home.

I am 25-days-a-chicken-owner, so guess that makes me very green here. I live in the city, so we have two little hens... names Noodle and Nugget (chicken noodle, chicken nugget hehe). They're egg layers and I love them so much not sure they'll ever live up to those names ;-)

The pair were 2 weeks old when we got them, on Jan 2. For the first 2.5 weeks of their life Noodle and Nugget lived inside my craft room in a large rubbermaid tub outfitted with blankets, a food bowl, water dish and heat lamp. They've slowly been introduced to the rest of the household - my husband, brother, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 foster dog and our potbellied pig. Obviously the cats are not allowed very close to the chickies! But the others are all congenial.

After that point, we had a nice warm spring weather spell and I moved the girls outside. They have a little hen house, which we secured everywhere with safety latch locks and surrounded with buried stakes so that not predator could get in or under. During the day with supervision, the coop door is latched open and the girls explore the yard. The potbellied pig, Rosa, usually takes this opportunity to invite herself inside the coop. She likes rooting the dirt for chicken feed the chicks have kicked around, and then the chickens love picking off the bugs she upturns - so I think its the start of a beautiful friendship.

Pictures of the chicks, their home and their coop, and new pals are attached. You can see from the transformations in the pics that in just 25 days they've lost all their fuzz and have fully feathered and grown so much! And their personalities are really shining (and are hilarious).

Noodle is the golden sex link and Nugget is the speckly-black one (I can't for the life of me remember her breed! Maybe someone here will know?).

Anyhow - that's us!

Tara[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome and make yourself at home. They are all beautiful (chickens, dogs, and pig) Glad you are with us.

3. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]cute chicks!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

5. tara3436

Jan 25, 2015
    Thanks!

6. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Tara. Glad you decided to our flock. Golden Sex Link is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are laying machines. You should get lots of eggs from that girl. Your other bird appears to be a Barred Rock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. I couldn't see the legs well in the photo, but if Nuggets legs are white or pinkish rather than yellow, she's a Cuckoo Marans rather than a Barred Rock.

9. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    Welcome!

10. tara3436

Jan 25, 2015
    They look more white/pink! So I think Cuckoo Maran. I plan to snap a better pic tomorrow. Nugget and Noodle have the same colored legs if that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by