New Years day was a bad start to the year but I just had a baby hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pkw, Jan 4, 2011.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    New Years day I was so upset. Something happened to trip the breaker to the chicken house where I have a separate area for baby chicks to brood and the heating lamp (all the electric for that matter) didn't come back on and it was all on when I went to bed the night before. I woke up and went out to take care of the chickens only to find my 6 chicks that was 2 weeks old at the time had died and that is when I found out about the heating lamp. I am not sure how long the electric was off to the chicken house but it was certainly long enough for those 6 babies to die.

Now today I just watched a newborn Columbian Wyandotte chick hatched (it arrived a little early). I can't take pictures right now (no camera) but I will try to get pictures of these new babies. I have 2 different incubators going right now. This one incubator has hatch dates of 5, 6 and 7th. In the second incubator I have hatch dates of 13, 18 and 21 which I will be moving the 13th hatch to incubator one after everyone in that has hatched. ... not to mention I have a broody that will hatching out hopefully around the 20th.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG] sorry about your babies.

Congrats on the new fluffy butt! [​IMG] Can't wait to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by