1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New Year's Egg! Yay!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by countyroad1330, Jan 1, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I am so excited, my Dark Brahma hen laid her first egg today! [​IMG] None of my chickens have been old enough to lay yet. I noticed that she'd had a good weight gain, and thought she was acting broody this morning. I just now went out to check and saw the egg.

Had to call my dad, he's an animal entusiast as well. But his response was "Oh, I thought you were gonna tell me you're getting married. I'm used to chickens laying eggs." [​IMG]

Happy New Year!

P.S. I thought Brahma's laid brown eggs. This one is almost a cream color...?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. Catalina

Catalina Songster

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Congrats! [​IMG]

It's so exciting isn't it!
    I had my first one yesterday.

3. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Good timing! Those dark Brahmas are beautiful, aren't they? The eggs I get from my 2 light Brahmas are light brown, darker than cream.
    Congratulations on your egg.

4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    My hen has laid 5 eggs now. They look so cute nestled in the bedding. And there's a chance that they are fertile! I still doubt that they will hatch, but she's been a good little momma. She lays the new one away from the other eggs, then rolls it over to the others. [​IMG]

5. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hurray [​IMG] My lil' Buff Brahma hen that I used to have always laid tan/cream eggs. Congrats on rescuing those chickens in the first place, too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: