New Years eve hatch-first time with own eggs & broody hen

TammyP

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
SW Wisconsin
My first broody....I thought....hmmmmmm, I'm a chicken dummy but hey.....could this work? Soooooo on Dec. 10th I placed 6 freshly laid eggs directly from the nest and stuck them under her. I made my own 'nesting box' for her out of our old dog carrier. My first time at this and I was nervous and excited. (This is my first year at raising chickens....my first chicks were brought home 5-6-09)

The next day I decided to put 2 others under her so that would mean the hatch should start New Years Eve into New Years day if these eggs are viable. 8 total.

I didn't candle at all..... let nature take it's course...

Yesterday went in to feed/water the 'girls' and got a suprise by hearing 'peep'.....'peep'....'peep'.
wee.gif

Nah....can't hatch an egg in 19 days (I thought to my self)... so last night kept going in for a look see but didn't see anything coming out from under her.

It's been running in the average of 20 degree days with single digit nites around here and I have no heater for them. Am a little worried it just might be too cold for them and I don't have my brooder put together. I procrastinated....again.
sad.png

This morning...again I heard a more louder 'peep' and yep.....there was one little cutie pie sticking it's head out from mama.....
love.gif

I do believe I am now a....um.....um.....grandma? LOL
yippiechickie.gif

I'm hoping the others will follow suite and come today or tomorrow.

What might the outcome be if I placed 8 eggs under her? 50% hatch? 60%? 70% more?
hu.gif

I'm soooo excited ....we have a baby!
jumpy.gif

(I have no clue what it is...only that it is black in color...and very very adorable)

The daddy is a cochin and the ladies are all kinds of different ones.....so not sure what kind of a chick will become of it and not sure which egg it came from! lol

EDIT: ADDING PICTURES....Aaaaaaand there is more than 1 that hatched early!!!! So far 5 hatched.....yeayyyyyyyyy......

42269_new_baby_chicks_12_30_09_008.jpg

42269_new_baby_chicks_12_30_09_015.jpg

42269_new_baby_chicks_12_30_09_006.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your baby!
jumpy.gif
Mine are due New Year's eve too. No signs yet, but I don't expect anything until tonight of tomorrow. Have fun!

I added some pictures to my original post of the cutie pies.....yes 5 cutie pies so far!!
tongue.png
Check them out above....

Here's also the Mommy in my make shift nesting box for hatching the little guys/gals and one more pic of the babies so far...

42269_new_baby_chicks_12_30_09_001.jpg

42269_new_baby_chicks_12_30_09_011.jpg

Oh my goodness...look how sweet they are! Congrats! Mama looks so happy and proud too.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom