New Years Eve Incubator fill

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frenchblackcopper, Nov 19, 2009.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    As in the spirit of starting off the new year right,and for all those who Santa will bring a new incubator to,is there anyone that will be starting to incubate eggs on New Years eve? We are still wanting to increase our foundation breeding flock bloodlines,and so far of the 5 bloodlines-sellers we need eggs from,we have 4 replies back they can ship me eggs on 12/28/09,,so we are planning on putting in close to 100 eggs on New years eve.
    Anyone else want to plan on that date as well??

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

MIGHT try it (equip. should be set up by then.) [​IMG]

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i think at this point hubby will shoot me if i try to put more eggs in... lol....
    i'll sit here and watch and throw in random silly commetns though... lol...

4. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Junkmanme,,just got another e-mail about the eggs I need,,looks like I'm all set with no less than 100 eggs,I think it would be interesting to keep individual stats with all who joins this hatchout,from egg fertilitity rate,to final hatching rates,and compare them in respects to each hatchers humiditity settings,ect! It's easy to write I set 100 eggs,hatched out 75,,but in a scenerio like mine with eggs coming from several states away,and some being new bloodlines from sellers I have not bought from before,,it would be interesting to keep track of some of those stats and post them here.I always keep these figures anyway in my breeder-bloodline book. I have never had any luck with getting fertile hatching eggs from California,,out of 26 eggs sent to me in 2 seperate shipments, I only had 3 eggs total hatchout,,don't know if it was the breeders fault,but more than likely it was the postal handling. 2-3 of the varieties I will be setting on 12/31 will be from repeat past sellers,and the hatch rate before was over 80%,,but that was this past summer in July,but I will have the other 3 bloodlines coming from breeders I have not bought from before.Thougts??

5. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:We can be the egg-cheering section.

6. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Neferset,,maybe we could have a "calcutta" auction of all active participants? But that I suppose could be a form of illegal gambling,,,but it would make this interesting. Perhaps the winner of the "Calcutta" auction would recieve eggs of their choice free from the losers of the auction? Maybe the winner of the hatching and winner of the calcutta both would get a free dozen of hatching eggs of their choice?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I'm trying work out the logistics of this. With a Calcutta, we would buy one of the "teams" so that would be a person hatching eggs. Then if that person hatches the most eggs we win a percentage number of eggs from that person? Or???

I'm not really sure I understand completely.

I seriously shouldn't incubate another creature until spring, for the good of the animal in question. My warm rooms are limited and it's bad enough that I'm still running an incubator two months past the point when I thought I should absolutely close it down. I think Evonne is in the same boat or close to it, if I can judge from her post above. So if the eggs are payable in the future from the chicks that hatch here, in the spring/summer that might work. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

I actually already have a few batches of hatching eggs that are paid forward to spring. I sense a bator full in my future.

8. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Neferset,,this could be fun due to all the variables involved and it would be an even playing field for all because each hatcher involved would have completely diffrent conditions,,such as shipped vs. home reared eggs,,(perhaps there should be 2 catagories?) All hatchers would have to list information about their entry,,such as shipped vs home raised eggs,,varieties and number of eggs from each variety going into the bator,type of incubator used,total number of eggs put in the bator on start date,,if eggs are shipped,they must list the state they came from,,
    Winners could be chosen on several aspects of this,,such as first hatcher to fully hatch out a chick,,first hatcher to hatch out a complete group of one variety,,highest number or percentage of candled eggs after day 14,,first hatcher to completely finish hatching all eggs,,highest percentage hatcher,,of both shipped and home raised eggs,,
    The participants of the Calcutta auction could then choose who they want to win the diffrent catagories,and the Calcutta winner of each catagory would have choice from all the others involved in the Calcutta in that catagory from the eggs offered. Thoughts??

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i either need a drink to follow what you said, or need to give you a drink so you pass out and start fresh again later... i'm so lost....

but i have pompoms....

and peanut gallery comments

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are going to be brave and start our bator on Dec 11th. I worry because it has to be cared for during the holidays, but, we'll have the first chicks of 2010. Anyone else with me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by