New Years Traditions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by beachchickie, Dec 30, 2009.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I am curious about other parts of our great nation's traditions. In the south we eat black-eyed peas and greens and some form of pork on New Years Day. I am in the midst of cooking right now and it always brings good memories of my childhood. My family has done this as long as I can remember. What do some of you all do?

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Well, for my family and many other people I know, we drink apple cider. [​IMG] Right before the ball drops, which we watch on TV, we all get a glass of apple cider and drink it. I don't know why, but that's what we've always done.

3. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Pork roast with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut are tradition to us. I also add the blackeyed peas, cornbread and greens to round out the meal.

We also try to do the things we love the most on that day. I've been told over the years that what you do on New Years Day means you'll be doing them the whole year. Good food, riding horses, fourwheelers, spending time with friends. Hope that made sense.......

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My Southern grandmother always cooked a pork roast with blackeyed peas, corn puddin' and slaw.

She used to make greens, but gave up after no one else would eat them. [​IMG]

After I got married and left the area, I carried on the tradition. I have sat down to or made this meal all my life. I always called her on New Years Day if I wasn't with her.

She died on Jan 2, 2008. She was doing poorly and a few days before New Years, I called her caretaker and asked her to make sure Grandma had her New Years Dinner. Her wonderful caretaker not only cooked the meal but invited a few of my grandmother's elderly friends over to share it. I am told it was the best time Grandma had had in months. She died the next day at the age of 92.

5. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Me, Mom, and Dad all play poker for Hershey Kisses. Really, it's just an excuse to eat chocolate and say, "I have a great hand. FEAR ME."

[​IMG] to Terrie.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I just returned from buying my collards, purple hull peas and pork loin roast for our New Years Day meal. It is always a special day for all my family to get together and share a good home cooked southern meal and reflect on the years happenings as well as speculate on the year to come.
    I too remember doing this with my family as a child and it is always very special to me in particular because of that. I will make maccaroni and cheese from scratch and cornbread from yellow stone ground meal to round out the menu. YUM!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Sleep, eat chocolate, take a nap, eat leftovers, take another nap, eat dinner, go to bed.

8. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We eat pork roast and kraut. We always had to wash our hands with a silver dollar, and a man had to enter the house first on News years day!
    My Grandma always ate a sardine sandwich after midnight![​IMG]

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Cooked cabbage .... My grandma will be calling all day making sure I ate my cooked cabbage...

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Getting to gether with old friend, drinking burbon an doing other stupid thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by