1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New York City/ Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Simone, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Simone

Simone New Egg

Mar 15, 2007
    Hi
    I am a new member. I am still figuring out what I am going to use for a coop. I was thinking about a pre made sun shed , but when I inquired about what they were made from I was told particle board so I am not so sure. But there are simple things I need to find like hay and feed and all those things that are easier to find outside the city. So is there any one...... out there from NYC. I know there are people that have chickens in the city I just can't seem to locate them for some of this advice
    Thanks
    Simone

2. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Hi, and welcome to the sight. I was born and raised in NYC. The closest place for you is going to be in Long Island or North of the city. Sorry I cant help any more than that. I didn't even think about chickens when I was there. Good Luck!

3. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    NYC [​IMG]

I am from Staten Island!
    Can't imagine were you are hiding a chicken in the city! but cool

You don't need hay!
    Hay is feed (& will mildo)

Straw can be used for bedding along with wood chips

Feed you will have to do a search on the closest feed store to you and have them order it for you (a store dealing more with some kind of live stock)

I am not sure they would have on hand because of the demand!

depending how old your chickens are the eat all kinds of table scraps and pasture (grass and picking the bugs out)

I am not sure of how much in the city you are but a strip of sod from garden store is great in run!

If you have the sun shed then it can be adapted to fit your needs!

what size is it?
    how many chickens?
    How old are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by