1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New York Times article - chickens in an apartment

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kitty&Eva, May 17, 2007.

1. Kitty&Eva

Kitty&Eva Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2007
    Colorado
    This is a really cute article about some city dwellers who came into possession of some chicks - check out the pictures - crazy looking coop!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/garden/17chickens.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Personally, I can't believe they have the chickens inside. As much as I love my 4 new baby chicks (arrived Tuesday - yay!) and am happy to have them inside for the first 6 weeks, I can't imagine having inside for very long when they're all grown up.
    Anyone on here keep their flock inside? I'm curious.
    I also wonder if they will have trouble readjusting to outside life when cool temperatures hit.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I have house chickens.
    It started when my Leghorn cockerel, Jerry, started to crow. I put him on the back porch with his buddies Slifer and Obelisk.We still wound up having to rehome Jerry, and then Slifer started to crow too...so they were inside birds. I lost Slifer in August and we got Penny in December. And they're still house chickens. They free range when I'm home to watch over them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by