New Yorker gets in trouble for defending family

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Q9, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

2. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Well, I don't think we have the whole story. Plus, the guys weren't on his porch or in his house. After such high-profile idiocy as that Japanese exchange student being killed for knocking on the wrong door or a local case where a man opened fire on a carload of high school girls who had pranked him, I imagine NY law enforcement would want to avoid such scenarios in their bailiwick. Anyone remember Bernie Goetz?

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought NY had crazy serious gun laws? If that's the case how in the nine hells did he manage to get an AK-47 in the first place?

I get those that collect, have WW II rifles... just want one of everything... totally get that, it's a family trait (though not guns specifically) but other than that, what is the allure of a gun like that?

Is this guy a hunter who likes REALLY tenderized deer?

Or did he buy this gun for the express purpose of shooting at PEOPLE and hitting as many as possible?

I'm all for defending one's property, ABSOLUTELY, but opening fire with an AK-47, particularly in a massive gun control state, is just asking for trouble.. he had to know that then, and he had to know it before he ever got the dang gun. And knowing that he CHOSE to open fire... ground or not (ricochets happen) he opened fire... had to know it'd cause a mess for him and his and that the jerks would get off clean... so again, what was the point.

Call police, make it obvious you have a weapon and that it's loaded (you don't have to waste bullets to do that) and then stand in front of the door (or right behind it) ... IF they come, THEN fire... if they stay back then don't... they'll scatter like the cockroaches they are when the cops show up. Oh, did I mention you tell the dispatcher that you are armed and prepared to use deadly force to defend you family? That usually puts a little heat under them... more so than just a simple "help me" does anyways.

If he's got a problem with NY's laws then don't vote for people who push for gun control, fight to have the laws changed, or MOVE. What you don't do is decide that the law doesn't apply to you and do whatever you want anyways. That's what those 'bad guys' you claim you were defending yourself/family from have done... why would you want to be like them?

4. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:I'd guess that he bought it for self-defense. It's certainly more intimidating and useful than a handgun. The cops say he's got no criminal record and got the gun legally, so...

Also, it was 25 guys ON HIS LAWN threatening his family. A few warning shots seem more than justified, considering that he already threatened them with the gun and they just called in reinforcements.

Out of curiousity, what would you do if you were in his position?

5. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Call the cops and sit in my house with my gun loaded and ready and my wife and kids out of the line of fire.

6. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Interesting. I still stand by his actions. It's a perfectly legitimate defense of person and property. At the very least, he shouldn't be charged with a CRIME for it.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If 20 gang members were after him....
    For them to even KNOW him and be after him..... i can almost guarantee you that he is involved with a rival gang ... or is involved with that type of lifestyle in some way..
    I say shoot them ALL..and clean up this country!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I read one short paragraph of vague info and the rest of the article was an editorial intended to incite.

Nothing on what "really" happened.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I know.. i'm just a pessimist [​IMG]
    ... I say he's involved with that lifestyle somehow... He probably got busted for something and then ratted them out.. now they're after him.
    Although he could be totally innocent and its just a random attack..
    My story is more interesting though... [​IMG]

10. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:I know.. i'm just a pessimist [​IMG]
    ... I say he's involved with that lifestyle somehow... He probably got busted for something and then ratted them out.. now they're after him.
    Although he could be totally innocent and its just a random attack..
    My story is more interesting though... [​IMG]

I doubt he's involved with a gang; I suspected that at first, too, but in the video it says he has a clean criminal record. Odds are, he probably did something or other that ticked off one of the guys in the gang. Who knows? I just know that if I lived in New York, I'd want an assault rifle, too. [​IMG] No offense meant to New Yorkers. Unless you're a criminal or gang member. In that case: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by