New Yorkers get news of a terrible storm, and all get in their cars...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Dec 2, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Before anyone posts to cry out at the unjust characterization, I'm a New Yorker, and I was raised by a man who, every single time there was a report of a terrible snow storm about to hit, had to get in his car and go someplace. And so did everyone else I ever met or talked to from NY....

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Here in Ohio, when we hear about severe winter weather, everyone seems to head to the grocery stores!

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Thats just it stock up and stay home if at all possible/inside.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It seems that whenever we get a big snow storm here or the roads are nasty, all of the older/eldery people get into their cars and decide to drive around. [​IMG]

5. jbrown_14105

jbrown_14105 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Well,
    since I live a 1/2 hour away from the "fated" Buffalo NY (actually Syracuse NY gets more snow yearly!) when we hear of a storm coming, we check the cupboards/pantry, check the gas tank in the car, and either just drive to work as "normal" leaving a 1/2 hour early, or stay home and let the "idiots" drive around and get stuck in the ditches.
    Here in WNY we have plenty of heavy duty snow plowing equipment for the weather, the State salts the roads well (usually) (we pay high taxes for that!) and most of us have a "over-night" kit in the trunk that we all learned to have after the Blizzard of 77 (of which the rest of the state didn't get by the way!)
    Today is is 32 degrees and the "girls" don't want to leave the hen house, with all of that "snow" on the ground!
    Guess I'll have to shovel the lawn for some "green" to show up!
    Jim Brown
    Lockport NY 14094

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I lived in mid-state NY, in coastal CT and Maine and in Charleston SC when DH was active duty Navy. I ALWAYS kept an emergency kit in my car and an emergency ration shelf in the pantry, just in case a blizzard or a hurricane managed to sneak up on us. Never had to drive to the store at the last minute; just stored water so I could mix up the nonfat dry milk and soak the beans before I lit the camp stove!

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Whenever we get news of a coming storm, we complain a little bit but we don't go anywhere.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    has anyone tried to build an igloo and snow bricks in their runs when the blizzards hit????????

I am wondering about that NYers would do such crazy things but look at us, snowmobiling in the blizzards and always thinking of ways to go FASTER in the snow.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Here in Michigan we just fire up the snowmobiles [​IMG]

We're allowed to use them in city limits now too!

JBrown, is that the Grand Hotel in your avatar?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Get in the car for what?? To go shopping for supplies..take a ride to see the storm sights?? I guess i dont understand what this threads about... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by