New Young Backyard Farmers in NE Oklahoma!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Damiana, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Damiana

Damiana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Hello BYC! I found this site probably when I was about 15 years old, when I first became obsessed with Silkies. Its been a long time since then, and I've had Silkies at one point and my fair share of regular Oklahoma game chickens, but we've been sadly chicken free for a while. My husband and I recently moved back in with my father in the country after my mom passed away, and we're getting ready to customize our little space in the country with some projects we've always dreamed about, which includes a fair sized garden and, of course, CHICKENS :) I'm very excited.

My husband and I are a young family, our little girl is three years old and she's been raised around animals. We have inside the house a bird, a cat, and a Pomeranian, and outside we have another cat and our big goofy White German Shepherd. We're wanting to start out with a fair little flock, but we usually don't have animals that we don't end up spoiling rotten, so I've been looking up breeds that are known for being friendly and tame. I like attractive chickens as well, and we're big egg eaters, so I've picked a couple that are supposed to be good egg-layers. I wanted to run my chicken wish-list by the community, to see if it sounds like a flock that would end up getting along :)

Wyandottes
    Barred Rocks
    Orpingtons
    Brahmas

and Bantam Cochins and Silkies, just because they're adorable! I've found a breeder in my area, so I don't think I will have to order from a hatchery for any of my chickens. Does anyone have any advice? Glad to be a part of a community I've been following for so long!

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you're here! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Sounds like you've got a good plan, good luck with it all.

And, welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. 71stbrew

71stbrew Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    NE OK
    Hi neighbor

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Damiana, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Best of luck to you and your birds!! [​IMG]

7. Damiana

Damiana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Hello fellow Oklahomans and Kansas neighbors! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and our poultry community.

1 person likes this.
  9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC and are getting chickens again. So exciting ! Love all the breeds you have chosen. I have cochins and silkies and dearly love them. Best of luck with your plans

1 person likes this.
  10. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    You've got some of my favorite breeds in your list (my favorites list is a bit too long[​IMG]) I'm sure you'll enjoy your flock.

Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by