new young layers

FoghornTim

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Grove City Ohio
Hi, I have chicks, well, they are past that stage actually. Almost 6 months old, one has started to lay, she is laying where ever also, a habit I need to break. Two eggs so far and they are small, she is a Black Australorp. Any concerns for the small eggs? Or is this usual for first time layers just starting?

thanks for any helpful information

Hi, I have chicks, well, they are past that stage actually. Almost 6 months old, one has started to lay, she is laying where ever also, a habit I need to break. Two eggs so far and they are small, she is a Black Australorp. Any concerns for the small eggs? Or is this usual for first time layers just starting?

thanks for any helpful information

Congratulations on your first eggs. Pullets start small then gradually their egg size increases (Hence the term "pullet" egg.) If she is laying in the morning can you keep her locked up until she lays? Otherwise put a fake egg or two, can usually be purchased at feed stores) where you want her to lay, even golf balls will work, and that will encourage her to lay in the correct place.

Thank you!
Just got in from feeding and watering and I had 2 of the pullets lay in the eggbox today.

I added another box today now that the pullets are starting up.

Super excited, appreciate the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom