New Young Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by victor1800, Apr 21, 2009.

1. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi, we have added a new young rooster to our coop. We have to keep him seperated from the girls they beat him pretty good his first time in now we keep him seperated but in same coop as girls seperated by fence so they can see each other. Now in a day or two we are going to let him free range with the girls is he going to be ok? or will he run off into the woods forever as my daughter fears , i think he is about four or five months old less then half the size of our hens mostly rireds and a couple bantems. what do you guys think ? We had recently lost our old rooster to a fox attack. The fact that we had a rooster before does that make the hens not want the new rooster because he is not like the old guy?

2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    i have added roosters to my hens.. all i do is just put them in the coop.. they may attack the roo but its just a pecking order.. my hens do this to any new hens i put in the coop.. they will work it out and i think that they will get along pretty good after a while. just give it time...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    thx we will let free range in a day or two. Victor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by