New Zealand White Rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by i<3chickens, Nov 14, 2010.

1. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Is it possible to keep a New Zealand White rabbit as just a pet ????? Just wondering because they are ameat rabbit and I know with some meat bird that you can't keep them as pets because they just get so big that thier chest drags on the ground. Even though they aren'nt even in the same species I just thought since they were both small meat animals that it might be the same thing.Anyways this is getting really long so i'll just stop [​IMG]

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Yes, it is possible. Even the fast-growing meat breeds like New Zealands should have no health problems to keep them from living a long and happy life if you choose.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive seen a ton of new Zealand rabbits at shelters looking for new homes so i assume they are perfectly good pets although it could be hard to find one at a pet store

4. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Yes you can. There is not heath problems do to there weight gain unless as adults you over feed them. Just when you pick one up let it come to you. I raise and breed new zealand and califorina meat rabbits. I always keep any does back that show an interest in me by coming up to the front of the cage. Ive got a young doe that's a califorina, new zealand cross. She is the sweetest bunny ever she will climb into my arms when i open the door.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Definitely. I have a New Zealand as a pet and she has no weight issues at all. She's a great pet. I'm housing training her so she can run around loose most of the time, and then just sleep and eat in her cage.

6. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Just because they are a meat rabbit doesn't mean anything. Any type of rabbit can be a great pet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by