New zebra finch color?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by farmdude, Jun 19, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I have a big community cage with zebra finches of every color( grays, buffs, whites and pieds). I just let them breed and don't control coupling so I don't know who is parents of who. I've discovered white ones with gray heads! Has anyone else seen this in Zebras? I'll try to get a pic but they are difficult to capture still.

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like an extreme pied, but hard to tell for sure without a picture. It can also be a combination of several mutations together in one bird. Check out www.zebrafinch.com to see lots of mutations.

:)

3. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I think is a combination of several mutations together,and not an extreme pied. The top of it's head is darker gray and it slowly gets lighter as it goes down.It is white by the time it hits the shoulders. I've never seen one like it. It is so hard to get a shot of it as it keeps flying back and forth with the others in the cage. The pics I've taken aren't worth posting. I will continue to try, sooner or later I'll get it.

4. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    The closest thing I could find at zebrafinches.com was the Phaeo Zebra except the coloring is gray, not reddish brown. Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    its a baby white it will lose its gray as it ages

6. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Okay, that makes sense as they are young. Thanks. To bad though, it looks cool!

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    yeah when i got my first white baby i was like hmm somthings off here and then her little cap went away

8. kkdd

kkdd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    THEY CAN STILL STAY THAT COLOR MINE DID

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by