New!

mommabs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Hello...I'm New to this page. Have had my 9 chickens for about 6 months now.I luv this and gettjng my eggs everyday from them. They r all but 1 laying.

welcome-byc.gif
from southern Ohio.

Thank u!! I'm worried anout one of my chickens. Ive had them in a run and just started to let them out the last few nites to forage.they're almost 6 months and i dont let em out due to my dogs. So i just let them out an ht or so.Their combs immediately started turning purple. They were fine the next day. But today one of them just stopped forageing and sat and panted w hwr wings out a little. Its prettu warm here in okla and my kiss had been chasing them and holding them. I got her back in the pin. She drank a bit. Then I went out later and checked on her and she wasnt in the hen house w all the other's.she waa outside on the ground so i went in and she got in the house. I'm worried an out her. This was sudden. Shes a good layer too. Ill see how she is in the morn. Maybe she got too hot??

I sure hope she's ok. I sprayed off the pen an cooled it down. Maybe that's why she outside the house.

i find the biggest thing is keeping the water cool and out of the sun. if it gets to hot they wont drink right, it just sounds like she got hot and a touch dehydrated. if i notice a rooster's comb turning dark toward the last 3 or so points, i add some ACV, or electrolytes (gatorade, pedalyte, etc) to some cool water and offer it to them - they usually drink readily.

welcome-byc.gif
Yes, sounds like they were much too hot and being chased and played with didn't help. The dark combs are a bad sign and wings held away from the body means they are trying hard to cool off. They need some shady places to recover, and maybe misters that spray water. You can also freeze gallon bottles of water and put them out, so the chickens can lay near them. Change their water often and put ice in it. Give them some cool treats like watermelon.

She qas in her box laying so I guess she feels better. I did put ice in their water yesterday and sprayed them dowba few times. They have shade. But ill dobthe water bottles. And electrolyte. Thank u all for the info!!!

Back
Top Bottom