NEW

Johnny123

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
hi, I'm new to BYC and a first time chicken owner. My wife, calliescluckers picked up about 70 day olds today (layers, turkeys, meat) and we thought we were well prepared but she's telling me that temperature has been an issue so far (not high enough). I'm out of town but will be going home on the weekend to build a proper brooder for the little fellas. Right now we have them in a wooden box in the basement but after learning that the dust created from them isn't the healthiest we will be relocating them to a shed in the back garden. So if anyone has any suggestions/ideas on the construction of the new brooder please let me know.... size/bird, insulation, ventilation, wattage, comfort, etc. I'm thinking I'll make it big enough to house more than what we have right now. Since plywood comes in 4'x8' I'll probably make it multiples of that (in case I decide to reuse the materials) I also had the idea of an ohio/hover within a larger enclosed brooder, vented of course. Is that overkill? The main thing is that I get them out of the house and into a new comfort zone without upsetting them too much and of course saving time and money. Any tips are appreciated

Kelsie2290

Free Ranging
Premium member
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Ohio
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Coops section on brooders, there maybe some designs there that are what you are looking for https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures if you click on the link for the individual brooders many of them have detailed plans
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center in general, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

cavemanrich

Enabler
6 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
70 chicks as a first timer at this is a little overwhelming. Be prepared to loose some. Go to section in BYC that deals with hen housing and you will git many ideas. Keep lil fellers warm , provide clean water and starter feed. As to whether there is a health concern for you and your family, I have been around chickens for 15 years and am still here to talk about it. Consult your doctor. 70 small chicks most likely less hazard than when they become 70 adult chickens. AS TO USING STARTER FEED FOR CHICKS, I have read on this subject, to use it rather than layer feed, on young birds. Reason is that layer feed has calcium for good egg shells. That calcium can be detrimental to young chicks kidneys. It seems that the wagon got ahead of the horse in your case of housing and chicks. But I'm sure you will get it all straightened out. BEST OF WISHES TO YOU.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium member
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Please be sure the babies are warm enough, I don't know the needs for turkeys etc. But chicks should have a heat lamp adjusted so that the temp is 95 degrees the first week, each week it is lowered b 5 degrees. They are ready to go outside once they are fully feathered out.

Meat birds eat constantly and will gobble up all the chick feed if you don't separate them from the layer chicks. Baby turkeys benefit from having chick "tutors," show them where to eat and drink etc.

I can't even fathom how large a brooder or brooders should be for that many babies.

Johnny123

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
OK that all sounds good. thanks for the immediate replies. Sandra told me that they are moving around quite a bit now that she has the heat a little higher. And she said she's using starter feed too. The info on that is good to know. She's been keeping a close eye on them and has a divider up to keep the layers and turkeys on one side and the meaties on the other. I'll be home tomorrow to help out and be building a proper brooder. Thanks again to all of you for the quick responses.

Johnny123

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
apparently turkeys are quite the wimps and need to be a few degrees warmer than the chickens at that age. So we are keeping the the temp a few degrees warmer than norm for chickens to compensate for the turkeys. plus the amount of action going on in there is going to create some body heat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom