New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wales, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Wales

Wales New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    i am new to the site
    i have two girls, one i hatched from a grey /white egg i think she is a a Ameraucans ( olive coloured eggs she as stopped laying at the moment, she moulting ) she is mad, not friendly
    the other one is brown I bought her as a point of lay ( large bown eggs) she a is so quite .friendly
    the Ameraucan as stared to bullie the other hen bad, she taken off he feathers around the neck and the breast also the feathers form around the bottom( do use anti pick spray) , there is aslo a problem with the brown hen , she is still laying but she has a prolape when she laid she but it does go back later in the day, as you see I have a big problems cane some one help

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the flock!! Try putting your hen in a dark area for a few days to discourage egg laying. Hopefully this will give the vent time to recover.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird with the prolapsed vent! [​IMG]

Here's what I would do about the bird with the prolapse:

• If you haven't already, isolate her from the other chickens. This will prevent the others from pecking her and making the prolapse worse. Chickens love to peck at anything red and fleshy.
    • Keep her is a darkened place. The goal is to stop her laying. Every time she lays, the prolapse gets irritated and probably enlarged.
    • Provide her with oystershell or crushed egg shell and layer feed. You can also crush up a human calcium pill and give it to her. Calcium helps her muscles become stronger, retaining the prolapse. Calcium will also help her lay any additional eggs.
    • Apply honey to the prolapse. This helps it contract and recede back into the body.
    • You can also apply Witch Hazel or Preparation H. Both of these help the prolapse recede back in.
    • Give her warm water baths at least once a day. Make the water hot, at least 90 degrees. Stand her in the water or hold her there, so that only her bottom half gets wet. This relaxes the muscles, allowing the prolapse to heal.

All of these things should help the prolapse heal and go away. It can take anywhere from a day or two to several weeks for the prolapse to completely go away. When my bird had a prolapse, it took about 3 days for her to heal.

I hope this helps! Best wishes to you and your bird.

3 people like this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Hi :welcome
    Glad you joined the flock. Sorry to hear your having problems with your hens. The above link has some great articles on prolapse hope they help. If the bullying is becoming so bad is there any way could separate them for a while but so they can still see each other to give your brown hen a chance to recover? With the look but don't touch method it gives them chance to be in the same company without the risk of injury.

Also I'm sure if you post some pics in the what breed/gender section of the forum you Should get some answers of the breeds of your hens.

Be sure to ask any other questions you may have we are all here to help :frow

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG] The other posters have given you some good advice as to how to treat prolapsed vent.

Good luck with her!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your hen. Wyandottes has given you some great advice. And keep her in an area that you can control the lighting for a couple weeks. No more that 8 hours of daylight. This will help to stop her from laying. You can also use preparation H on the prolapse. If it comes out again, get her cleaned up and stuff it back in.

If you continue to have aggression problems, do some separation for the bully. Jail time for a few weeks. You may also want to use pinless peepers on the meanie. These will help stop the aggression.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to ours!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hen, hope she recovers.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck with the problems.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck to you![​IMG]