newb: air temp v egg temp in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by familychicksqb, Aug 1, 2013.

1. familychicksqb

familychicksqb New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    UK: Black Country
    Hia all, I've got a home made forced air bator that will maintain 37.5 C -+0.5 C all day long with a constant humidity of 45%, I put a toy water snake (kids hollow water toy) in the bator with a temp sensor inside to simulate an egg; the internal temp was 36.5-37 C, it never reaches 37.5C. I also drilled out an egg and put a sensor inside to check if the rubber material the toy is made of affected the heat transfer; the internal egg temp was also 36.5-37 C, the only way I could get the internal egg temp to 37.5 C was to set the air to 39 C.
    Which setting should I use?
    I've read that you can have a higher temp setting at the start of incubation, them lower it as the eggs produce their own heat, would anyone advise this?
    Thanks Mike.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

was it the same thermometer measuring the temps inside and outside the egg? if not, place the two sensors side by side for corelation.

The inside of the egg will normalize to the average ambient temp in the bator. Does your thermostat allow for big swings?

3. familychicksqb

familychicksqb New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
  4. familychicksqb

familychicksqb New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
  5. familychicksqb

familychicksqb New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    I used two seperate thermometers to begin with, them swapped them over to check; both read the same temp within 0.2 C ( both thermometers are digital with 0.1 increments )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by