1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newb and don't know what's wrong with my Australorp!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tioram, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Tioram

Tioram Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    I have 4 black australorps, 2 RIR's and 2 Buffs. Two of my Australorps aren't laying yet and two have been laying for over 2 months! They are 32+ weeks old. My concern is one doesn't visibly appear healthy in the combs and such. Should I be concerned? I have one other Australorp who IS laying (both the Buff's and RIR'S are laying) that has been terrorizing the other breeds and I'm concerned about whether or not to get rid of her. She has been chasing and running and pecking the Buff's and RIR'S for weeks with no sign of stopping :-\

Anyway, below is a pic of the Australorp I'm concerned about not being healthy. I have wormed them with 2 different wormer meds just to be safe even though I see no sign of worms. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

2. Tioram

Jul 11, 2014
    Here is one of her sisters... for comparison. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it almost appears as if the first hen has no upper beak. Is that the case?

4. Tioram

Jul 11, 2014
    I think they lasered it at the hatchery. And I got them all from the same flock at Myers... you are correct.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That is seriously shortened - I would guess that she is having problems eating. Do you provide feed in a deep bowl so that she is able to eat?

6. Tioram

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry, I just saw this reply. I feed them using a feeder that is on the coop wall. You can see part of it in this picture that I have. Her combs haven't changed any at all since my last post :-/

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by