Newb from Westside of Cleveland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alex101, Mar 9, 2011.

1. alex101

alex101 In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Hello everyone! My name is Alex and I come from an chicken background due to my grandparents farm, but I am going to be starting my very own setup within the next two months. I'm thinking about getting 6 Brahmas and a pair of silkies. If anyone in the NE Ohio area is on here and can help me out with chickens that would be great. I'm planning on building my own coop soon and hopefully getting enough fencing to let them free range on my property. I have a 60x200 lot so they should be quite happy. Should I worry about them in my garden? Can't wait to dive into the forum![​IMG]

2. jojo54

jojo54 Songster

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Welcome from BC, Canada.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Alex! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from south central Ohio [​IMG]

Don't worry about your garden, they will eat just about anything you plant in it, so you won't even have to bother weeding or harvesting anything from it. [​IMG] HINT - I'm being a bit sarcastic about this as we fence them out of our garden, because, believe it or not, they will harvest just about anything you plant in it, even before it is ready. A two foot high chicken wire fence will not keep chickens in a run, but it does seem to keep them out on the garden. [​IMG]

7. alex101

alex101 In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:LOL thank you for that. Good to know. I'm trying to read up on making them their own garden so feeding would be more nutritious and well rounded....anyone plant for chicken feed?

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Songster

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio as well!

9. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Songster

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    [​IMG]

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:LOL thank you for that. Good to know. I'm trying to read up on making them their own garden so feeding would be more nutritious and well rounded....anyone plant for chicken feed?

Ours do benefit from the garden in many ways. They love tomatoes that get rejected for kitchen use for instance, so yes, there are many things that can be grown for both your use and chicken feed. One lady, who gave me one of her roosters, had a huge pumpkin pile that she would use for feed, didn't matter that they were just laying out by the pen, she would just toss them one or two a day to work on, frozen and all. Mine go crazy for pizza, [​IMG] so funny to watch them fight over it. I think it is best to just put up the two foot high fence around the garden and feed them as kind of a treat system, rather than let them forage in it, as they would soon destroy it. Of course in the fall, after it is done, letting them in is great, free fertilizer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: