Newb here from Southern Cali

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Boudroux, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Boudroux

Boudroux New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Just joined today to give out a general thank you to this site. I did all my homework here.

A friend is moving and can't take his hens with him so I adopted them. There is a white leghorn an Americana and a buff orpington. I have a huge lot, two young boys and a what turns out to be a very chicken friendly dog so these will be free range birds all the way and they seem happy about that. The first week they got here I didn't have a coop or anything so they ran wild and roosted in my mulberry tree. They have been laying eggs in a nest they built up under some bushes.

Now the coop and nest box is done and the girls are moved in. Without hesitation they immediately started roosting the first night in the coop. I made sure to build the nest box much lower than the roost.

My plan is to leave them in the coop until they start laying eggs in the box and then let the range during the day again. Hopefully that is soon as I'm about out of eggs from the first week and have no interest in grocery store eggs anymore.

Looking at the pine shavings in the nest box it is clear they have not even explored inside it yet. Any suggestions on how to get them to go in and check it out?

Glad I found this site and look forward to contributing.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you could try putting a couple of golf balls in the nest so they get the idea that is where they are supposed to lay. Should work for you.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Boudroux, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Best wishes to you and your chickens!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on the golf ball suggestion.

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck with your new hens

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by