Newb not sure of sex, age, or breed.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kitty88, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kitty88

Kitty88 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    My very Sicilian grandfather has been eyeing my neighbors well tended flock of fifteen hens for a year now. On Friday morning, I was rushing out to the backyard to grab my rabbits litterbox set up before work, and found that instead of sitting in the sun bleaching where I had left it the night before, cheeping noise was urgently coming from a milkcrate that was stacked in it. He'd brought home a chick from a farm upstate! Apparently on his way back from his buddies hunting cabin in upstate NY, he tried to buy a chick off of a girl with a huge flock, who waved off money and handed him the chick in response to the news that it was for my ten year old brother.

I don't mind mentioning here that I've been considering a small coop of my own for the past few months. However, I would have gone more along the lines of ordering three chicks from mypetchicken after having set up and built a henhouse and coop. Ah, hindsight.

So now I have a chick I know nothing about living in my beagles kennel, with a hidey box I took out of my rabbit's indoor cage (with much displeasure on the part of the rabbit, I assure you!), no coop, no suitable feed, no idea of how old she is, or even if she IS a she, in which case back to the farm it would have to be, as roosters are very much illegal. I live in the middle of the Bronx, by the way.

I want to build a coop in the next week or two, and add a chicken or two for company. But I really want to know what she should be eating at this point, and an idea of breed would be interesting.

Here are a few good shots of her face and feathers/down combo, and a picture of her sitting comfortably on my boyfriend's arm for size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I don't know much about black chickens, I don't have any, but I do know Jersey Giants and Black Australorps are very common, especially the australorps. Your chick looks like a cute little pullet to me, most boys would have a redder comb already by that age, but it is a little early to tell for sure. You may want to think about getting her some buddies to keep her company. Chickens really aren't happy when they are the only one. Also, I'm not sure where you are located, but if nights are chilly, you may want to give her a heat lamp. She may get chilled being all alone with no one to keep her warm. Chicks need to be kept very warm. I didn't have a heat lamp on mine by the time they were your baby's age, but I had several for them to bunch up with, and I am in NC where it's pretty warm. [​IMG] If I had to guess on the age, I'd say about 4-6 weeks, but again, I am no expert.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Im thinking its a black australorp and its about 5 weeks or so. I cant see the comb very well so im not going to try and guess the gender. It should be eating starter feed for the next few weeks or so. I give mine starter feed till they start laying, then i switch it up to laying mash when they start laying. Ya i would get it at least one buddy.

4. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    My guess is female Australorp. Don't know the age though. A month? The legs are half orange half gray tho....

5. Kitty88

Kitty88 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    Her legs and beak are both like a pale orange/yellow with black splotches, and she has a very peachy combe. Newb though I am, I do know a few breeds, and me and my more experienced neighbor are both stumped. I guess she's just a chicken mutt.

As far as a buddy goes, I came downstairs today to find another, older chicken running through my yard. Of course I don't get to pick out a chick....

If Madeleine is four weeks old, the new chicken has to be at least two or three weeks older. She's fully feathered with no fluff like Maddy has, and I've heard her coo about three times. (Do chickens coo? She made a noise that definitely wasn't a baby cheep, at any rate.)

Apparently, both chickens came from a farm upstate with tons of chickens that don't really get much human contact. Both girls gave my grandparents tons of trouble trying to catch them, and seemed very put off with being in a suburban yard. However....I went outside and within ten minutes, I had two little chickens roosting on me, one on each shoulder. Obviously, the chicks know their chicken mommy when they see her!

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    What a great grandpa you have! I wish you luck on your new journey. This is a great site [​IMG]

7. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by