Newb quail questions...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nico demouse, May 16, 2011.

1. nico demouse

nico demouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I've read through the forums and have found a lot of great information. I still have a couple of questions...

1. Are quail like chicken in that they lay regardless of whether there is a male present? Most people seem to keep groups of one male and then females...I assume this is because they are interested in fertile eggs. If I only want eggs for eating and not for hatching, do I need a male?

2. For indoor quail (basement or garage) can someone quantify the smell factor? I realize this is subjective...but... [​IMG] how would 6-8 coturnix compare to...say...guines pigs? Pet mice? Cats? Some sort of scale would help me decide how much I risk offending the rest of my family. [​IMG]

3. I know that quail need a quality, high protein diet. I realize most people get this from game bird feed. I'm interested in raising my own food while minimizing dependence on outside inputs. Can a high quality commercial diet be supplemented with garden and kitchen scraps in the same way you can with chickens? (I'd raise chickens but they are not legal here.)

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    1. JUST AS ALL FERTILE WOMEN OVULATE SO DO ALL FEMALE BIRDS--- IRREGUARDLESS OF A MALES PRESENCE. SO IF YOUR GOAL IS HATCHABLE EGGS THEN YES YOU NEED A MALE, IF NOT AND YOUR AFTER EDIBLE EGGS THEN NO A MALE IS NOT NECESSARY

2. CANT REALLY COMPARE IT ON A SCALE TO YOUR LIST... TAKE 2 DEAD AND DECOMPOSING MUSKRATS, COVER THEM IN FRESH HOG MANUER, AND COAT LIBERALLY WITH SKUNK MUSK AND YOU'LL BE GETTING CLOSE [​IMG]

3. GARDEN GREENS AND LEFTOVERS WILL NOT HARM YOUR BIRDS, BUT A COMPLETE DIET THEY WILL NOT MAKE, MOST WILL NOT HAVE THE NUTRITIONAL PROTIEN OF YOUR COMMERCIAL CHICKEN FEED, AND NONE OF THE B12 THEY REQUIRE, FURTHERMORE SINCE QUAIL IN THE GRAND MOTHER NATURE SCHEME OF THINGS ARE MORE PREDATORY WITH INSECTS THAN THEY VEGATARIAN ITS ILL CONCEIVED TO THINK THIS WILL BE GOOD FOR THEM, THEY MAY WELL ENJOY IT, BUT WE ALL ENJOY THINGS THAT ARE NOT NECESSARILY GOOD FOR US?--- WHY BUY COMMERCIAL GRADE CHICKEN FEED AND INEFFECTIVELY DRESS IT UP WHEN YOU COULD JUST BUY NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE FEED AND BE DONE WITH IT?

JUST 1 VIEW [​IMG] THERE WILL BE OTHERS [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I couldn't agree more with the last post! Nothing more needs to be said about the laying of eggs by females and not needing a male around. As far as the stink factor, I wouldn't recommend ever keeping quail in your basement...dark dank and cruel. And STINKY!

As for your last question about the feed. When I first started raising quail years ago, I tried to make my own feed. I researched all I could on what they would eat in the wild, and what was in commercial gamebird food. I was sure I could reproduce a feed of the same quality. So I mixed up all these seeds, thru in all these plants and legumes that they would eat in the wild and such things. And well, I didn't kill any of the birds, but I could tell the state of their health was declining. They molted too much and really didn't have a good looking plumage. If I had continued on this path of homemade food, they may have suffered to the point of not being here today or to reproduce as they have done. Granted I still feed them peas, greens and bugs for their own enjoyment, they couldn't live on these things alone.

So long story short, buy gamebird food. A bag will cost you $15.00 or so and it will last a long time if you only have a few quail. (Quail don't eat a whole lot). If you are only keeping females then add oystershell to their feed. It is easier on you and so much better for the birds. Do them this favor and do the right thing for them. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    And another thing I should have added that I found out along the way. Laying females need huge amounts of protein and calcium in their diet to lay eggs. That is what eggs are made of. And if they don't get it in their diet, it will come from within their bodies. It can be not only draining to the female if she doesn't have access to good food, but she could have egg binding and other egg issues that could kill her. So make sure to get a good food in them for sure. [​IMG]

5. nico demouse

nico demouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Quote:For the record, it's a relatively bright, airy, and open basement. While I wouldn't host a party there, it certainly isn't dark or dank. Cruel confinement is certainly not my aim -- or I'd be buying eggs from the grocery store. [​IMG]

Thank you for clarifying the "no male needed" question. That was my understanding, but I wanted to be sure.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:For the record, it's a relatively bright, airy, and open basement. While I wouldn't host a party there, it certainly isn't dark or dank. Cruel confinement is certainly not my aim -- or I'd be buying eggs from the grocery store. [​IMG]

Thank you for clarifying the "no male needed" question. That was my understanding, but I wanted to be sure.

if you could have two large windows one open and a fan in the other and you did not have but 2-4 birds you might be OK .All my birds are outside because I cant stand to walk in someones house and smell a cat LOL I have brooded a few babies in my "nursery" in the house in the winter time but I change the bedding every coupla days just so I don't have to smell ammonia

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

quite a few people keep quail in basement or garage but they clean cages about every other day. as for offending your family i think part of that depends on individuals...example being..as long as i change litter every couple days they don't bother me ..however... my DH can't handle the smell at all and they make him gag in as short a time as a few hours....

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:+1
    I think the biggest problem with keeping coturnix inside is not the smell. If you change the bedding regular anyway. But the dust or dander, they raise more dust than a dump truck on a gravel road. It amazed me, I raised several hatches of 25 or so birds, to 3 and 4 weeks of age this winter. Was very happy when they went outside. I mean, think when your monster-in-law moves out of your spare bed room happy!!! Bill

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have my quail in a garage/ barn converted and if you clean every other day (FWC requires daily cleaning but litter costs add up) keep a few fans, dust and do thorough cleaning, it isn't too bad. Like any animal indoors, dander and dust accumulates. Just don't let it build up and you are good to go [​IMG]

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:+1
    I think the biggest problem with keeping coturnix inside is not the smell. If you change the bedding regular anyway. But the dust or dander, they raise more dust than a dump truck on a gravel road. It amazed me, I raised several hatches of 25 or so birds, to 3 and 4 weeks of age this winter. Was very happy when they went outside. I mean, think when your monster-in-law moves out of your spare bed room happy!!! Bill

uhh..."monster-in-law" ? hehehehe...i hope my kids don't think of ME that way....LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by