Newb with Buff Orp's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dsmdaryl, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dsmdaryl

dsmdaryl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    North Central PA
    Hey ya'll... My first post, just joined up today. I have already learned alot from this site. Just got an order in from Ideal. 13- Buff Orp Pullets 2-BO Roos and 6- ? Roos. Had a couple not doing so hot when they came in. Got them some sugar water, 1 is doing great, the other is so/so. Bought the Grogel too, but it seems to be a waste. Most all of them but the sick 2 are all over the food and water. Any advice on how else to help nurse the sickly ones back to health would be appreciated. I think the one is about out of the woods... but the other one I'm still concerned about. She can move, but haven't seen her go for the water by herself, let alone the food. She'll drink if i drop it though. I try to search everything before asking, but forgive me if I miss some things. Looking forward to my new edible pets:)

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It sounds like you are doing everything to try to help. The only other recommendation I can think of is to check its bottom for pasty butt. If the vent gets feces pasted to it, it will poison their system and they die. This is common in shipped chicks that many are not familiar, so thought I should mention it.

Aside from that, some chicks just do not fare well in shipping and there is little you can do to help them. Keep encouraging fluids and sometimes tapping in the food helps. If the chick was weak to begin with or had a rough trip and got a bit trampled in the box, it may just not survive the stress. Sorry you are experiencing this with your chick.

Jody

3. dsmdaryl

dsmdaryl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    North Central PA
    It seems to be clean. She's doing MUCH better than when they arrived today, just want to make sure I'm doing everything to help this little one get a fighting chance.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It's good to hear she is doing better. Just helping them to kick start the drinking is sometimes enough to pull them thru. Good luck.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by