Newbe Fodder Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bud22LR, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Bud22LR

Bud22LR Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I have a fodder question. I gave my birds a try of barley fodder I sprouted. The next day there is still some left. How much should they eat in a day? I have 4 chickens the trays are about 4inches by 6-7 inches see video please. Do some chickens not like barley and if I try wheat what kind should I try? Or am I just over feeding the birds on fodder, they do have a feeder with feed for them. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Bud

[​IMG]

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Hello,

Are your birds confined to the coop and or run all of the time? I think I would try red wheat, white wheat, and then oats and barley last. Barley has something in its makeup that is more difficult for chickens to digest. The order of the listing is the order I would try them in.

If they have been on fodder for a while, I am not sure what to tell you, but if it is a new feed, then you will have to just wait for their tastes to become used to the new feed. I would think they would or should really like what you are offering them. We sprout a few things, but my birds free range all day, and are not interested much in it. But they will LOVE it in winter. You might be seeing the same thing?

Anyway I watched your video and it is a very nice system and setup you have there,

RJ

3. Bud22LR

Bud22LR Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi RJ, My birds are in a coop I will be adding a run later in the Spring. I had only given them the fodder twice and seen left overs like you said they may need to get use to it. I am going to order some wheat this week thanks for the list. I know for a fact they love clover but the seed is high. Take care
    Bud

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by