newbe help pleeeeaaaaaase

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lost, May 10, 2008.

1. lost

lost Songster

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    im new about chickens i bought my kids some at easter.I thought they would die like the ones I got when I was a kid.So i got 3 bantams 1 died so i went and ended up with 9 all to gether.Do i need to build a incubator or buy one.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Do you have them under a heatlamp? They need to be kept warm till they fully feather out. And you don't need an incubator-that's for hatching eggs. Do you mean a brooder? You just need some place out of drafts where they can stay safe and warm and dry, even a box will do.

3. zippychickens

zippychickens Songster

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Well it sounds like you have 9 chicks right? You will need a brooder, or hutch to keep them in. If you have eggs then you need to hatch them you will need a incubator.
    Oh I see speckled hen already commented. I used a rubbermaid box with a heat lamp for a couple of weeks then moved them into a hutch in the garage for 4 weeks. There are links here that show all kinds of brooders to get ideas from.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm not trying to sound mean or rude, but wth would you buy your kids chicks for easter if you know nothing about them?
    That's how 70% of the pets at the SPCA get there.

Anyways, get a heat lamp and keep them from the chill. Good luck.

5. lost

lost Songster

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    they are big enough now but i went and bought grown ones .Igot them friday and one started layiing yesterday my rooster i think isnt big enough right now maybe he will be in a few mounths i just didnt know what would be the best way when they start

6. You should take a good read of "How to raise chicks" at the home page of this forum, before buying chicks. It will tell you all you need to know and then begin looking at the "coops" and fencing, etc.

AAHHhhggggh!

7. lost

lost Songster

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I built a nice pen and a pretty big coup my pen is a lot nicer than were i bought them its like me and my wife said they have to be happier here

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Oh so now they are full grown birds? Are you talking about hatching eggs?

Please. Buy a chicken book. Before you kill some thing. :|

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  9. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Hi lost and [​IMG]

Let me get this straight. You have grown birds and you are asking if you need to buy/build an incubator for when the chickens start laying? You only need an incubator if you plan to hatch out the eggs. If you do not plan to hatch any eggs, then you do not need an incubator.

If you have baby chicks, then you need a brooder with a heat lamp to keep them warm.

I hope that this helps.

Dorothy

10. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    By the way, we are all here to learn, beginners and long timers.

Yes, some people jump right into this without learning a few things first, but that is why they are asking questions, so they can learn.

As for chicks/chickens dying, then that is a risk that every chicken owner takes when aquiring them. I do believe that people should research and find out what is supposed to be done first, but it doesn't always happen that way. I believe that the experienced chicken owners should give advice to help newbies correct their problems/inexperience, not critisize what they have done or not done correctly.

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: