1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbe question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtRendeAcres, Dec 6, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    to stand up eggs can I put in a egg carton

(or maybe a cut up egg carton so the air would flow through better)

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Do you mean for the purpose of incubating them?

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Yes if they can stand in an egg carton cup during incubation?

last time I did was with 4 H they gave me eggs & incubator said turn 3x day!

that was it no other directions! so needless to say I cooked those eggs [​IMG]

Well I called the office & told them I couldn't get the eggs to stand up ((they said you have to))

so I am assuming you have to make them stand up is that write? [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you have a turner in the incubator they stand up in the turner, but if you have no turner, just lay them on their sides and turn them a half turn 3 times a day.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Right, you need to stand them up so that the big end is up top. The big end has the air cell in it.

I've heard of people using egg cartons with the bottom cut out and hatching worked just fine.

6. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    I took a styrofoam egg carton, flipped it over and trimmed it down to hold my eggs at an angle in the incubator. Here's a picture of how that looks before I did the trimming.

[​IMG]

In the final version I'm using, I trimmed off the lid of the carton and trimmed out the valley area directly under the egg (to maximize airflow around each egg). I also arranged the eggs so they are 90 degrees compared to the egg arrangement in this photo (front to back, instead of side to side like in the photo). That way the eggs don't make any contact while I'm flipping them.

This has worked out really well for my small number of bantam eggs (5). I just mark one side of the eggs with an "X" and flip them back and forth like flipping a light switch rather than rolling them around to turn them (quicker that way).

7. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by