Newbe tryio raise peafoul

jogomez1

Hatching
May 4, 2016
Help, I bought a pair of 6 month olds and the peacock died last night. figure out what happened... his wings were dropped for a day, then we had a big storm over night and I found him secluded in a corner. At first I thought he had gotten scared butlater afternoon he passed out.

Help, I bought a pair of 6 month olds and the peacock died last night. figure out what happened... his wings were dropped for a day, then we had a big storm over night and I found him secluded in a corner. At first I thought he had gotten scared butlater afternoon he passed out.
Oh no! I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
How's your hen looking? Are her wings droopy too?

A little more information could help... have you checked their poo? That can give clue to what's making them sick. Could be coccidia or any one of a number of other things. Have you been using a medicated feed?

Best would be to send the male off for a necropsy to determine cause of death. But you can't wait for results if the hen is unwell. You need to figure out whether she is sick too. It's always best to use a vet if you can find one in your area, but not everyone has that option. It's not uncommon for new owners to lose peas within a day of noticing signs of illness -- by the time they look actively sick, they are usually quite ill. How long have you had the birds?

Sounds gross, but I'm going to suggest that you take a picture of the poo and post it here. Look and see whether it is runny or watery, smells nasty, has any blood in it or mucus or foam. Also, see if you can weigh the hen -- you may want to weigh the poor dead one also. That will give an idea of whether they were underweight or not. While you are taking photos, take a picture or two of your hen and post them. Are her feathers smoothed down or ruffled up? Is she standing in a relaxed posture, or hunched up with droopy wings? Any sneezing, coughing or watery eyes? Any trouble breathing? Is she lively looking or subdued? Any shivering? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Let us know what you are feeding them and a little bit about their housing situation. Are they with other birds? What kinds?

Here's hoping it works out with your hen
fl.gif

@jogomez1 , welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss. If you can send him off for a necropsy, you should do one yourself. Let me know if you need help.

-Kathy

@jogomez1 , is your little peahen doing okay? Anything we can do to help?

Here's hoping she's well and thriving
fl.gif

And welcome to the peafowl forum of BYC
welcome-byc.gif

@jogomez1
, welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss. If you can send him off for a necropsy, you should do one yourself. Let me know if you need help.
[ATTACHMENT=676]Poultry-necropsy-Manual.pdf (1,860k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

-Kathy

Kathy,
Your just the bomb! That pdf is so outstanding. Thank you for you dedication and support,an extra thumbs up for you,
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
Gerald Barker

Kathy, those words are well-deserved.  Lots of peas (and chickens) are still alive through your efforts  :clap

Lots of my peas have been saved by her efforts and accolades need to go to KSKingbee, his and Kathys fecal float examples were all I needed to see to better deworm my birds. Thanks guys,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom