Newbe

Roger Parker

Hatching
Mar 2, 2016
I'm new at this chicken thing. My chicks are a month old and my question is about a dirt bath. Should I put some dirt in their tub? And what kind of dirt?

Are you talking about in the space you're using for a brooder? I only kept pine shavings in mine until they went out to the coop/run after 6 weeks. I believe they take dust baths to minimize fleas and mites but if you keep your brooding space clean I wouldn't think you'd have any. Once they get cut lose outside where the bugs are they'll have access to dirt and all will be well in their universe.

If you are giving them scratch (seeds, cracked corn) they need dirt or grit to help grind the food in their gizzards. My newest chicks are 5 & 8 weeks. Today was nice enough to let them out and they all figured out the dust bath really quickly.

Last edited:
Where are they going now that they are ready to leave the tub? If it is all enclosed and they will not have access to dirt then yes you should bring some dirt into them, any dry dirt will do, mix a bit of sand in it too s much the better. They will eat it, and bathe in it very happily. If you have a coop with a run they will use the dirt in th run and will not need you to bring any to them.

Hi and welcome to BYC - as you can see from the responses above, we all do things differently.

The following link may be helpful -http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens, as would the Learning Centre - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us!

Once they are outside, if they aren't a round dirt, you can use a shallow pan or kids sandbox and fill it with dirt and sand a bit of fine gravel(like for parakeets at the pet shop) and they will be able to dust bathe to their hearts content. They go nuts and are so content, some folks think either they are having fits, or died. It's a chicken thing and they love it.

Back
Top Bottom