NEWBEE Chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lillyman, Aug 7, 2011.

1. lillyman

lillyman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    First off; I am not sure if I am in the right place for this entry . I am new to the site ,Was a lurker for a while used alot of the info from here to help me get started with my chickens . I ordered my eggs from the internet ,Used the part of this site to plan and build my homemade incubator.it was made out of a coleman cooler, light bulb ,computer fan ect. I started with 21 eggs( Bared plymouth rocks) 16 hatched . I had problems keeping both the temp and the humidity in their proper ranges but we got through it , after the bator . I brooded them in an old 55 gal fish tank for about 4 weeks . Meanwhile this was going on , I built the pen 16 x25 ft with an 8 x 8 ft coop. needless to say chickens aint cheep !!! the babies are now 7 wks old and I got more roos than I need . 7 of them the flock is feathering out nicely today I thought I heard one of the roos trying to crow . I really love sitting and watching them carry on:

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Hello! Welcome. I too was a lurker for a while and then signed up. This is a great place. Congrats on hatching chicks and yes watching them is very entertaining. Good Luck with the new flock!
    [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. That was a good hatch rate. Congrats. [​IMG]

6. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    [​IMG]
    AWESOME job building your own bator! I was a lurker for a long time also, even before i got some. This is a great site, i am addicted to chickens and the site. Theres even BYC on Facebook! I am glad you became a member! don't forget to post some pics of your feather butts!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas and congrats on your hatchlings! [​IMG] Post some pics when you can! Good luck!! [​IMG]

8. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on a great hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by