Newbee Duck Owner just started finding eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Martressa, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Martressa

Martressa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    Hello,
    I purchased 3 one-week old ducklings last July (one male, 2 females), they've since grown into beautiful adult ducks, (two of which have been mating) they have a coop with a heat lamp as it is very cold and stormy here in Eastern Canada lately. We were not expecting to see eggs until spring for some reason but there were 11 eggs in the coop once we started digging around. The ducks are on layer pellets so I assume its ok to eat these eggs and start gathering and monitoring the new eggs for hatching. I'm so excited! I would love any random tips, I'm especially excited to know when i should expect my females to go broody and how to deal with harsh winter climates and harvesting eggs. love the site, so nice to see how many people are enthusiastic about raising ducks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC,
    they surprised you didn't they, lol must have been the heat lamp because it's really been cold here and most of my Muscovy's haven't started back laying yet. But of course mine are seasonal layers. there is a way to tell if an egg is still good to eat or need to be tossed I'll have to look that up. What breed of ducks do you have is that a Pekin? white campbell or white layer? Some ducks just don't go broody and some that have supposedly had the broodiness bred out of them will brood so this is something we never know until we see one sitting on their eggs and getting serious about it. I don't encourage broodiness until the weather starts to warm it just gives the ducklings a better chance of survival so when your weather begins to warm like maybe April- May start leaving the eggs and see if either one takes the hint. they will lay a clutch until they feel they have what pleases them then begin to brood. Keep us updated and let us know when you see the broody signs then we'll take it from there. Now I'll go see if i can find the info on how to tell if eggs are still good.

Got this off the internet.
    Just fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat.Apr 16, 2014

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. Martressa

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    Thank you so much for the information. My boyfriend, father & I tried the eggs, they were very good! I was surprised at how large they are. I was told by the farmers I bought my ducklings from that all 3 are Indian Runner/Mallard mix but the white one in my profile picture is very different from the other 2. I will upload a pic of all 3. I got them as pets but wanted to introduce myself to the idea of raising animals for food. My ducklings started out in a Rubbermaid bin with a light, they swam in my bathtub before they had feathers, then they upgraded to a kiddy pool in the yard an now they free range over from their coop to the brook beside my house.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Now having gone from tiny ducklings in your house to adults do you still plan on eating them? I have Muscovy which are suppose to be really awesome table birds and can't eat a one. lol
    Would love to see pics of yours.

5. Martressa

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    I don't think I will end up eating any of my 3 original ducks but I do plan on raising chickens for meat this year and getting some new breeds of duck to expand our feathered family :)

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's a wonderful way to enjoy life. Raising poultry. We do process our extra roosters just can't kill and eat my ducks way too much personality there.

7. Martressa

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    I uploaded a few photos. Check out my album "Willow, Donna & Pat".

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable

9. Martressa

Nov 20, 2014
    Canada
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by