Newbee need advice on incubation

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pea3pod, Oct 26, 2016.

1. pea3pod

pea3pod New Egg

Oct 26, 2016
    Kent U.K.
    Hi all just need a little advice, I am currently on day 18 of my incubation with my chicks (so excited) but the incubator I have borrowed off my farmer friend has an automatic cradle rocker. I've been doing my research and everything I've read is telling me to take the eggs out and just place them in my incubator. The thing is my friend had told me to leave them in the cradle and she's hatched dosens of healthy chicks this way but I'm conflicted as every bit of research has told me to take the out of the cradle. To be honest I don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would be very much welcome. Thankyou in advance pea3pod

2. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    [​IMG]!!!
    We always take ours out of the cradles on day 18 or 19. So far things have worked out well fro us. Removing the egg turner provided our chicks with room to fluff out after hatching. If you have invested in a separate brooder box you can more them from the cradle to the box after hatching instead.
    GOOD LUCK[​IMG]

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2, and welcome

4. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the forums.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have never incubated eggs before (yet), but a great spot to post all your incubating questions is this page:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs. If you need any advice or help on raising the new chicks, this page is a great spot to soak up information:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks. And if you ever have any additional questions, chances are, you will find an answer in the learning center, you can find it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. I hope you enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I've hatched for yrs. I highly recommend that you remove the turner! Their little legs can get stuck in between the bars, and or the holes.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about hatching but, have heard you remove the turner.

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, pea3pod, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like CuzChickens has given you some great research links so I'll just say best wishes and happy hatching! :jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by